OPB seeks a host for our weekday broadcast of All Things Considered (ATC). Our Host shapes ATC to serve OPB’s listeners with a rich news and cultural experience unparalleled today by weaving newscasts, news breaks, news briefs, weather and traffic throughout each shift, identifying the conversations of the day, producing interviews (live and recorded) and serving as an editor of news content. This is an exempt, full-time, regular status position with benefits.
This position is OPB’s weekday All Things Considered host, serves as an editor of news content and is a regular contributor of content on both OPB radio and digital platforms, including social media. This position occasionally serves as a substitute host for OPB’s Think Out Loud and represents OPB at select events, panels, conferences and OPB sanctioned gatherings.
Work schedule is Monday-Friday 9:00a-6:00p (including a lunch break). Most of the position’s work is done in studio, office or other indoor location. Some work may occur at locations outside OPB. This position must be available for meetings and trainings at times outside normal working hours. There may be extended periods working at a board and computer.
- Experience in broadcast journalism or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
- Strong news writing skills.
- Experience making editorial decisions.
- Demonstrated strength in interviewing for live and recorded broadcast.
- Demonstrated announcing/hosting skills in radio or audio environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work within deadlines.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work with digital audio workstations and office computer software.
- Knowledge of the public media environment and challenges.
- Ability to participate in social media associated with OPB.
- Ability to work alone and with a team.
- Effective under pressure.
- Commitment to high ethical standards in reporting
- Shares OPB’s commitment to covering all the communities in our coverage areas reflecting a diverse range of people and perspectives in our content.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB and for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
- Degree in journalism.
- Experience in a newsroom.
- Knowledge of major stories and issues in the Northwest.
- Ability to handle a broadcast board.
- Understanding of and experience interviewing for live video/TV broadcasts.
- Experience interviewing in a public setting.
- Ability to acquire or produce material suitable for online distribution, including photos, video and text.
- Experience with public speaking.