Come join a dynamic new national media powerhouse focused on the over-the-air TV consumer. The Scripps Networks (a growing portfolio of entertainment and news networks) provides absorbing entertainment and objective, intelligent news as we use our own distribution platforms to serve this unduplicated national audience. We meet the audience where it is with the programs it wants.
The Anchor will be the on-camera lead of a nightly, context-driven show on 24/7 news network, Newsy. This role will also participate in all aspects of broadcast and digital production including generating ideas for stories, conducting interviews, writing and producing packages, and supporting the overall content production. In addition, the Anchor serves as a public representative of the show and must have a passion for storytelling that deepens viewers’ understanding of important topics and events.
What you’ll do:
- Perform on-air responsibilities for the show and digital platforms as required
- Pitch story ideas for segments
- Research relevant subject matter and conduct interviews
- Assist with daily writing of show content
- Develop, write and produce packages
- Build relationships for the purpose of generating story leads. Develop, cultivate and maintain sources.
- Absorb background information related to program content and convey it to guests and viewers
- Work with teleprompter, work in the field (live and tape)
- Perform other duties as assigned
What you’ll bring:
Education & Experience
- Bachelors degree in journalism or related field is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years on-air or broadcast experience is required
- Broadcasting/producing experience preferred
Skills & Abilities
- Must have a passion for news
- Proven track record of superior story telling
- Ability to ad-lib effortlessly while under pressure
- Strong interviewing and live reporting skills are necessary
- Understanding of Social Media
- Must be a team player and work effectively in a deadline-driven newsroom
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic, high pressure, and technology-intensive environment
- Effective self-starter with proven ability to produce
- Must be a creative and critical thinker with strong organization skills
- Ideal candidate is hardworking and impartial
- Proficiency in office software and the internet
- News software experience a plus
Newsy is the leading cross-platform television news network that provides straightforward, opinion-free news to inform and engage by delivering the top stories across every platform. Its content is available over-the-air and on connected TV platforms including Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV and Google Chromecast as well as over-the-top services including YouTube TV, Sling TV, Pluto TV, Xumo, Samsung TV+ and Vizio WatchFree. Newsy also is available via its mobile apps and at newsy.com. Newsy is a wholly owned subsidiary of The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP).
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
SCRIPPS’ COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At Scripps, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the communities we serve. We are intentional about creating an environment where employees, our audiences and other stakeholders feel valued and inspired to reach their full potential and make authentic connections. We foster a workplace culture that embraces each person’s diversity, including the extent to which they are similar or different. Scripps leaders believe that an equitable and inclusive culture is not only the right thing to do, it is a business imperative. Read more about our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion at scripps.com.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.