We are currently seeking an Art Director that will help us establish a firm visual identity in print and online, help us navigate the ever-changing media landscape, and generally make our stories look as good as they read. The ideal candidate will have a background in editorial design and magazine production, as well as photography. The deadline to apply is June 1.
The Texas Observer Art Director will be responsible for the following:
- Manage all visual aspects of our bimonthly print issue, including: cover conception and assignment; design and layout of department pages and features; and closing production and timelines
- Photograph feature and web stories, collaborating closely with staff writers and freelancers, occasionally traveling on assignment
- Assign freelance photography for stories, print and online
- Assign freelance illustration for stories, print and online
- Manage redesign of the print magazine and TexasObserver.org
- Produce visual collateral for campaigns, events, and fundraisers
- Design house ads for print and web publication
- Design other business collateral, as necessary
Skills and attributes of a successful Texas Observer Art Director include:
- Expertise in Adobe products, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Skilled using WordPress CMS
- Basic/intermediate knowledge of HTML/CSS
- Knowledge of typography
- Experience with on-location photography
- Familiarity with Texas politics and culture
- Journalism background or experience
Preferred qualifications :
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, journalism, photography, or related field
- 3 years experience
- Experience working with teams, in person and remote
The Texas Observer is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, folks from the LGBTQ2+ community, and people with disabilities, as well as people of all ages. The Observer is an equal opportunity employer and we recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The Observer will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
This position will be based in our Austin office, but we are open to remote candidates based elsewhere in Texas.
Please send cover letter, resume, and a link to online portfolio and/or three pdf editorial samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Job Category||Graphic Design|