About Democracy Now!
Democracy Now! is a non-profit news organization based in NYC. We produce a daily TV, radio and internet newscast that is carried by more than 1,500 stations worldwide. Our website, democracynow.org, gets tens of millions of visits annually and we have more than three million followers across social media platforms. Everyone who works at Democracy Now! is committed to creating and distributing high-quality independent news – it’s a great place to work.
Democracy Now! is looking for an Associate Digital Editor to support our social media publishing and digital engagement efforts in order to grow the audience for our award-winning independent TV, radio, internet news hour. Candidates should have a passion for Democracy Now!’s content, a strong news background, experience with news publishing on social platforms and excellent news writing skills.
The schedule for this role includes shifts starting at 7:00 am ET, to coincide with the live daily TV & radio newscast at 8:00 am ET.
- Identify social-friendly highlights from the live daily broadcast to publish across current and future social platforms.
- Write great copy, select compelling audio and video and develop eye-catching visuals for distribution on social platforms.
- Schedule, publish and monitor performance of posts across social channels.
- Collaborate with the newsroom to publish content to the website.
- Stay up to date on stories and guests featured on Democracy Now!
- Monitor daily news trends in social channels and pitch story and guest ideas to the newsroom.
- Engage with the audience on social platforms and moderate comments.
- Surface relevant content from Democracy Now!’s extensive archive.
- Work on initiatives to build an audience for Democracy Now!’s website, newsletter, podcasts, and other digital platforms.
- Stay on top of trends in social media publishing and recommend new strategies to grow the audience for Democracy Now!
- Assist with promoting special programming, events and fundraising campaigns, as needed.
- Help maintain and update standards and best practices for social publishing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of experience in social media and digital journalism.
- Avid news consumer on social media and passion for Democracy Now!’s content.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading.
- Detail-oriented and able to meet daily deadlines in a fast-paced news environment
- Experience publishing to social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Creative, flexible and collaborative and able to work independently.
- Basic image and video editing experience is a plus but training can be provided.
- Experience with website publishing via CMS, social publishing tools like Sprout Social and basic HTML are all helpful
Compensation and Benefits
- The salary range is $63,00 – $68,000.
- Benefits include health, dental, flexible spending, retirement, generous time off, paid parental leave and more!
- This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between SAG-AFTRA and Democracy Now!.
- We are excited to hear from you! To join team Democracy Now!, please submit a cover letter and resume. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
- Please click on this link to apply.
- Democracy Now! is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ-identified people are encouraged to apply.