The Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY is the only publicly supported graduate journalism school in the Northeast. Opened in September 2006, the school offers two Master of Arts degrees. The Master of Arts in Journalism is a 16-month program with a unique paid summer internship and the 16-month Master of Arts in Social Journalism recasts the profession as a service to engage communities. The school also features a Master of Arts in Journalism with a unique Spanish-language component.
Students are taught by veteran reporters and editors and learn by doing in the media capital of the world. Our mission is to serve the public interest – by training new journalists who will bring much-needed diversity to newsrooms, by helping mid-career journalists retool their skills, and by partnering with other media organizations to find new paths to excellence.
The Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY seeks an Associate Director of Multicultural Recruitment. Under the supervision of the Director of Admissions, the Associate Director of Multicultural Recruitment will be responsible for assisting the Director in all aspects of the admissions and recruitment process, with primary responsibility for diversity recruitment. The Associate Director of Multicultural Recruitment will work as a team with the Director of Admissions, Associate Director of Admissions, and Admissions Specialist, in assisting with strategic planning and initiatives designed to increase the overall number, quality, and diversity of the student body, focusing mainly on maintaining and increasing the school’s representation of students from underserved community.
The Associate Director of Multicultural Recruitment will lead and manage the execution of an innovative diversity recruitment strategy (e.g. on-campus, off-campus, and virtual events) in alignment with the overall short- and long-term strategic admissions goal of enrolling a talented and diverse student body. Under the direction of the Admissions Director, the Associate Director of Multicultural Recruitment will undertake 8-10 weeks of recruitment travel annually (mostly in the fall season) that will include but not be limited to professional journalism of color conferences, newsrooms, targeted college visits, including HBCUs, HSIs, TCUs (Tribal Colleges and Universities) and other minority serving institutions; establish relationships with professors, undergraduate multicultural centers, and student chapters of nationally-recognized journalism of color organizations with the goal of creating a feeder pipeline of their top talent for our program.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Analyzes short- and long-term trends among our current students and the changing student demographic profiles of underrepresented populations;
- Assists in the development and execution of diversity recruitment goals and implement best practices in the support of underrepresented student admissions at the graduate level;
- Participates in the design and modification of strategic initiatives for enrollment management; participate in, and contribute to, college-wide and university committees related to multicultural recruitment;
- Forecasts and reports trends to support and increase student diversity and develop and maintain easily accessible database of prospects, applicants, admitted and enrolled students;
- Collaborates with the school’s marketing and social media team toward effective lead generation and develop strategies that will attract targeted applicants to engage and apply;
- Works in collaboration with the Office of External Affairs in the development of marketing materials, advertising initiatives, lead generation programs, and social media plans in support of multicultural recruitment;
- Develops local outreach to capitalize on the diversity of other CUNY programs, Centers and language departments, local community-based organizations, and local newsrooms and build and establish a feeder pipeline of top talent from these organizations;
- Works closely with the Associate Director of Admissions and Admissions Specialist in the operational maintenance and data integrity of the Admissions Office’s databases and Communication Plan including, but not limited to, Filemaker, AppReview and Campus Management Connect;
- Oversees and assist if necessary, with admissions data entry during high volume periods;
- Produces monthly and quarterly reports on data from recruitment events, informational sessions, one-on-one counseling sessions and other related events; produces operational and strategic reports related to multicultural outreach as required and requested by Director of Admissions;
- Stays abreast of relevant trends and benchmarks in graduate professional education, diversity and journalism and use and communicate relevant strategies effectively;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and six years’ related experience required.
A preferred candidate should have;
- Six (6) years of experience in higher education and three (3) years in admissions and/or recruitment.
- Demonstrated experience as an effective administrator of changing student demographic profiles and maintain easily accessible data of prospects, applicants, admitted and enrolled student data sets.
- Keen eye in analyzing short and long-term trends among students of underrepresented populations and use and communicated information effectively.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and web-based social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.).
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, preferably Campus Management and PeopleSoft.
- Demonstrated presentation, interpersonal and written communication skills. Design experience a plus.
- Strong time management and organization skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and ability to show initiative.
- Ability to successfully complete projects.
- Ability to work evening and weekends and travel domestically.
- Possess a driver’s license with good driving record.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Manages on- and off-campus recruiting activities at a College or unit.
- Develops and implements marketing strategies and recruitment initiatives
- Manages one or more teams of admissions/recruiting staff, providing supervision, training, and development
- Manages application review processes
- Maintains relationships with selected academic divisions/departments to coordinate recruiting efforts
- Reviews and analyzes the effectiveness of enrollment, recruitment, and marketing strategies
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Admissions Manager
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button at the bottom here which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization). Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format as one file.
July 23, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.