Scientific American, the longest continuously published magazine in the U.S., has been bringing its readers unique insights about developments in science and technology since 1845. Scientific American has 3.5 million print and tablet readers worldwide, more than 7.5 million visitors on ScientificAmerican.com, and appears in 13 translated editions, which are read in more than 30 countries.
Scientific American, a part of Springer Nature, is currently accepting applications for full-time Mulitimedia Editor at our New York offices.
As the SciAm multimedia editor, you will:
- Come up with ambitious video and audio projects, both short and long-form, that explain technical, highly important scientific concepts and communicate deep narratives.
- Report to the senior multimedia editor, and work with editors across Scientific American.
- Shoot, edit, and post-produce videos and podcasts on a variety of deadlines.
- Manage and edit video/audio freelancers and external partnerships.
- Work with the art and production teams to design innovative multimedia publishing projects.
- Implement video and audio distribution strategies for SciAm’s website and social spaces.
- Embrace a variety of multimedia approaches from documentary to animated explainers to VR/360.
- Work deeply in audio post-production, animation, compositing and visual effects.
You should be able to:
- Nimbly report, produce and technically direct video and audio productions in the field and studio.
- Show technical mastery of post-production and editing tools and workflows, with a significant specialization in Adobe’s Premiere, After Effects, and Audition. Experience in 3D creation/compositing packages, such as Cinema 4D or Blender, is a plus.
- Demonstrate a minimum of 5 years of experience working in a multimedia production environment.
- Show a portfolio of recent, relevant work.
- Successfully juggle projects and freelance contributors across different media and timescales.
- Work collaboratively and collegially.
- Have a commitment to improving diversity, equity and inclusion in media.
- Learn new things — both in your own specialty and from the rest of the team.
If you are an internal candidate please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster.
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website here.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
At Springer Nature we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.