Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG’s primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
As the Part-Time Associate Producer for MPR News talk shows, you will work closely with the hosts and other producers to present timely, live conversations about regional, national and international news and culture. Your role supports the booking, production and online presentation of the program – including pitching, researching and booking discussions. As the Associate Producer, you may also direct live broadcasts, screens calls, prepare internal and external communications about the program, and adapt programs for presentation on MPRNews.org and social media channels.
In this role, you are primarily dedicated to producing MPR News with Kerri Miller, but could be asked to work with any MPR News program.
This is a temporary, 6 month, part-time position working 20-25 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits.
Application Deadline: August 11, 2020
- Coordinate guest bookings and technical requirements at remote studios.
- Contribute ideas for future broadcasts.
- Locate, contact, pre-interview, evaluate guests; book guests and confirm bookings.
- Direct shows, manage the control room, set rundown timing and coordinate with remote studios.
- Screen listener phone calls.
- Write promos and scripts and edit and fact-check copy.
- Prepare audio for podcast, digital presentation and re-broadcast.
- Research sources/guests for background and context.
- Rewrite copy for accuracy and clarity.
- Support hosts and prepare briefing materials for hosts.
- Greet and interact with live studio guests.
- Coordinate special projects.
- Help manage MPR News social media channels.
- Support other MPR news programs and special programming as needed.
- Coordinate the work of interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Three or more years production, editorial or related experience.
- Experience with digital audio editing systems.
- Experience writing for web based platforms.
- Familiarity with social media platforms.
- Screen listener phone calls during live broadcasts.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Solid news judgment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to edit audio.
- Reads widely across a variety of current news sources.
- Ability to generate fresh and strong ideas for the programs.
- Ability to work interdependently within a team while maintaining effective communication and accountability with minimal supervision.
- Ability to react to breaking news, changing situations, and change the program accordingly.
- Excellent organizational skills; effective with details and deadlines.
- Ability to learn new industry specific skills as required.
- Research skills.
- Interest in and general knowledge of news, current events and public radio industry.
- Interpersonal skills, including ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a variety of individuals, such as audience, guests, hosts, and other MPR staff members.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Dalet newsroom software.
- Skill and experience in field production.
- Experience with live news programming.
- Familiarity with recent Minnesota news stories.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to walk, sit, and stand
- Reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.