The communications associate is a member of the communications team whose primary focus will be promoting the work of Pew Research Center’s Religion/Internet and Technology/Science research areas.
The communications associate will promote and disseminate findings through media relations, stakeholder engagement, event planning, publications and social-media outreach. The communications associate is skilled in working independently as well as part of a team; and can demonstrate initiative, professionalism and attention to detail. The communications associate has excellent verbal and written communication skills, and is comfortable communicating about statistics and data. The position reports to the associate director of communications and will work closely with the communications managers for the three relevant research areas.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of religion, technology and/or science issues. Knowledge of, and interest in, polling, data science and other research preferred.
- Facility with numbers and statistics
- Superior writing and verbal communication skills, including knowledge of AP style
- Must be detail-oriented
- Must have excellent judgment
- Must be proactive and customer-oriented
- Must be highly organized, able to balance multiple priorities, meet deadlines and work well in team-oriented environment
- Must be able to think strategically and work tactically
- Bachelor’s degree required; communications, journalism, English, or international relations degree preferred
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in external relations, including media relations
- Knowledge of Washington and international press corps and public policy community
- Experience with social media and web marketing campaigns
- Experience with tools related to media outreach, including Cision, Factiva and Critical Mention
- Experience managing and using Salesforce or similar contact databases
- Experience with Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Serves as initial point of contact for external inquiries, especially media inquiries; responds to incoming requests promptly, accurately and efficiently
- Reaches out to print, broadcast and online media through press releases, media advisories, pitch calls and social media
- Shares the responsibility for creating, updating and maintaining lists of media and other key stakeholders; identifies new people and organizations within our target audiences
- Assists with developing social media outreach to promote the center’s research
- Arranges interviews for experts, including coordinating logistics Tracks and documents, through spreadsheets and written reports, the results of external outreach activities, in part to fulfill institutional metrics and reporting requirements