Friends of Cedar Mesa (FCM) is a nonprofit, non-partisan conservation organization based in Bluff, Utah. Founded in 2010, FCM provides stewardship to ensure the landscapes of southeast Utah – with all their cultural and natural values – are protected and respected. To achieve this goal, we educate visitors about respectful recreation of the greater Bears Ears region, monitor cultural sites, effect change through research and field projects, improve land management policies, and engage citizens in advocacy.
About the Position
Friends of Cedar Mesa seeks a full-time Communications and Campaign Coordinator whose overall responsibilities include working alongside the Communications Director on executing effective communications that advocate for the protection and preservation of Bears Ears National Monument, the culturally rich lands located between Bears Ears and Canyons of the Ancients, and other critical southeast Utah landscapes.
The Communications and Campaign Coordinator will place an emphasis on organization and coordination of an impactful campaign centered upon the preservation of a unique cultural landscape in Eastern San Juan County, an area currently being heavily leased for potential oil and gas development. The Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director and FCM’s Staff Archaeologist to communicate with a coalition of Tribal and conservation partners on a multi-year campaign to preserve critical cultural resources in the region while also working to carry out increased and impactful communications to grow Friends of Cedar Mesa’s overall base of support.
The Communications and Campaign Coordinator will be expected to work occasional weekends and several weeknights a month. The position will require frequent regional travel. This position is fully dependent upon Friends of Cedar Mesa’s annual funding.
- Utilizing best practices to develop and execute social media campaigns and posts
- Development of promotional materials including advertisements, letters, newsletters, event programs, and more
- Writing, revising, and editing content for distribution on multiple channels
- Assisting in maintaining up-to-date website content
- Writing and sending regular e-newsletters to communicate with FCM supporters
- Assistance in maintaining FCM’s branding and messaging in all external communications
Campaign Coordination (40%)
- Collaborative and coordinated organization of multi-year campaign to illustrate the scientific and cultural uniqueness of the culturally rich area between Bears Ears and Canyons of the Ancients National Monuments
- Coordinate site visits with partners
- Develop campaign-specific materials
- Coordinate regular phone calls with coalition partners
- Assist campaign archaeologist in compilation and presentation of area-specific data
- Coordinate with partner groups and agencies to work toward a collaborative goal
- Assist Executive Director and Development Director in communications designed to raise funds to support the campaign
Potential Additional Responsibilities
- Work with Administrative Coordinator and Program staff to assist in events and Friends of Cedar Mesa programs as needed, including Celebrate Cedar Mesa.
- Attend FCM lectures and public events as needed.
The Communications and Campaign Coordinator must be committed to FCM’s mission. All candidates should have proven campaign experience plus demonstrable verbal and written communication skills. Concrete experience and other qualifications include:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent conservation experience.
- A demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with partners, agency officials, and the general public.
- Ability to set and meet professional goals.
- A sharp eye for details; organized.
- Adaptable writing skills for various platforms.
- Knowledge of best practices in social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more.
- Ability to work positively and efficiently with a team in a hard-working, fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility in working both independently and collaboratively as appropriate to the situation.
- Proficiency in graphic designs systems including Adobe platforms such as Photoshop, InDesign, and more
- Knowledge and proficiency in online communications tools including Campaign Monitor and WordPress
- Knowledge of/willingness to learn database management including Salesforce
Location: Position may be based in Bluff, UT, or remotely on the Colorado Plateau. If based outside of Bluff, the position would entail travel to Bluff approximately once every six weeks for events and meetings with staff.
Status: Regular, full-time employee with benefits.
Compensation: $32,000- $37,000 depending on experience.
Friends of Cedar Mesa is an equal employment opportunity employer. We seek a broad and diverse pool of candidates and strongly believe that our organization benefits from the perspectives and talents of a diverse staff. No applicant will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender variance, marital status, otherwise qualified handicap or disability, pregnancy, pregnancy or childbirth-related condition, genetic information, or veteran status.
Please send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. We will begin reviewing applications no earlier than January 8, 2020. Position open until filled.