Journalism and Women Symposium (JAWS) seeks a creative, flexible, and entrepreneurial full-time Communications & Community Manager. This is a new contracted position for JAWS and is ideal for a candidate with communications, social media and program management experience interested in gaining nonprofit association experience. The contract position requires a candidate who is excited about expanding and growing their portfolio and is willing to pivot and adapt to a rapidly changing and growing environment. This position is well suited for a self-starter, mission-driven, dynamic, high energy and very productive professional with good judgment and instincts. Ideal candidates should be highly organized and able to multitask effectively. The Communications & Community Manager will work closely with the JAWS’ Executive Director, Board, and volunteers as a critical partner in developing and advancing JAWS’ mission and vision through public outreach, social media, internal and external communications, programming, membership, event planning, and media relations. Successful candidates will bring outstanding writing and analytical skills and strong interpersonal skills.
The ideal candidate will have experience building and engaging our organization’s follower base through genuine, thoughtful, and interesting content and conversation. Additionally, they will understand that offline community building can be just as powerful as online social channels and won’t be afraid to think beyond traditional methods to engage, educate, and advocate for JAWS’ mission. They will advocate for the inclusion of additional voices and stories and create content that reflects the broadening conversation surrounding JAWS’ mission. Those with a journalism/media background and who have a knowledge of the industry and its trends are highly encouraged to apply. Other types of professional experiences are also welcomed.
Journalism and Women Symposium is a 501(c)3 non-profit that supports the professional empowerment and personal growth of women in journalism and works toward a more accurate portrayal of the whole society.
- This is a limited-term independent contractor position. The initial contract will begin in mid-September and end in December 2020, with an opportunity to renew through 2021 and beyond, pending future funding.
- Full-time salaried contract position (40 hours per week).
- Occasional travel and work on weekends and evenings.
Position is fully remote. Contractor must have their own office space, equipment, and general office supplies. They will assume all reasonable operational business expenses for this contract work.
Communications and Marketing
- Draft statements and press releases on issues relevant to women journalists and JAWS’ mission.
- Work with the Communications Committee to develop strategy, manage, and grow JAWS’ social media engagement.
- Manage, promote, and grow JAWS’ online communities, including the JAWS membership discussion platform.
- Oversee content and increase circulation of the monthly member-focused email newsletter.
- Manage and develop marketing content for JAWS’ annual conference, ongoing programming, and special events.
- Manage content for JAWS’ website and update regularly.
- Work closely with JAWS’ committee chairs to disseminate internal and external communications.
- Liaise with the Board and Nominating Committee to manage the annual Board elections process.
- Reinforce JAWS’ messaging (external and internal) and manage the JAWS brand.
- Design engaging, mobile-friendly, and accessible communications to a variety of audiences
- Respond to member and partner requests to share information, resources, and job postings.
- Provide online technical assistance and problem-solving support.
- Create and maintain an editorial calendar for upcoming emails and campaigns.
- Maintain JAWS’ technical administration, including emails, passwords, etc.
- Review and approve new and renewal membership applications and vet all prospects.
- Liaise with regional groups around membership activities and inquiries.
- Respond to member and general inquiries.
- Help develop and implement new membership engagement campaigns.
- Manage all member communications.
- Develop creative and engaging membership marketing materials.
- Manage the membership database and online community.
- Responsible for all aspects of member database maintenance.
- Provide coordination and staffing support to monthly webinars, online learning, and other programs.
- Identify and recommend programming opportunities.
- Provide staffing support to JAWS’ annual conference committee and for the annual conference, which is virtual in 2020.
- Track donations and provide follow-up communications to donors and funders.
- Work with the Fundraising Committee to set up and monitor fundraising campaigns.
- Promote JAWS’ sponsorship and individual giving campaigns.
- Provide regular updates on fundraising campaigns and donor giving to the Fundraising Committee and Board.
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, business, communications, marketing, journalism or related field.
- Three years of program or project management experience.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced and growth-focused environment.
- Able to be adaptable, flexible, and accountable. Work well with many different types of personalities, in a deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple diverse projects simultaneously.
- Proven record of growing programs/projects and tracking data metrics.
- Experience with basic website design, database management, WordPress or other website content management systems, MailChimp or other email marketing programs, desktop publishing software, webinar platforms (Zoom) and social media scheduling platforms (Hootsuite).
- Demonstrated success increasing engagement and audience size across a variety of digital platforms.
- Able to work comfortably with diverse and multigenerational stakeholders and audiences, and thrive in multicultural environments.
- Highly skilled writer with excellent grammar and editing skills, and the ability to analyze and distill information into audience-specific content.
- Experience with content creation and management – managing images, video, and producing to create unique and engaging content that tells a story.
- Experience contributing digital expertise to online community efforts like events, partnership activities, member platforms, and others.
- A strong sense of goal setting and prioritizing, to drive achievement of JAWS’ strategic priorities.
- Ability to discover new communities to engage with online.
- Strong commitment to infusing diversity, equity and inclusion into JAWS’ programs and communications.
- Experience working in a small entrepreneurial non-profit or as a freelancer with minimal administrative support and oversight.
- Nonprofit/association management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to assess, understand, and utilize marketing data (internal and external) to inform work.
How to Apply
Send a letter of interest to Eloiza Altoro, Interim Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 16, 2020. Please include your name in the subject line of the email. Also include a resume, two writing samples, and three professional references. Your letter of interest should address why you are interested in this position and what qualifies you for it.