The Education Writers Association (EWA) is seeking an experienced and mission-driven Communications and Marketing Manager to drive our efforts to inform and engage the national education journalism community. Working under the management of the Deputy Director, the successful candidate will take a strong leadership role in developing and carrying out strategies to enhance EWA’s visibility, grow our membership, and extend the reach and impact of our programs and services.
The Education Writers Association’s mission is to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education coverage to better inform the public. As the national professional organization of journalists and others who care about high-quality education coverage, EWA has thousands of members benefiting from its training, resources, professional recognition, and customized support.
Located in the nation’s capital, EWA offers a challenging and dynamic work environment that values initiative, creativity, and enthusiasm for serving the cause of excellence in education journalism. EWA is committed to diversity and inclusion in every aspect of its mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, produce, and distribute well-written
communications materials across platforms about EWA’s programs, services and
resources to inform and engage existing members, prospective members, and other
- Plan and carry out email campaigns, including regular newsletters, event promotions, and other member communications.
- Manage EWA’s social media accounts to ensure timely and engaging content that addresses organizational priorities and is consistent with the EWA brand.
- Guide strategy for informational and promotional content on EWA’s website that clearly and compellingly communicates who we are and what we do.
- Help develop and execute efforts to recruit EWA members for programs, including in-person events, webinars, the annual awards program, and reporting fellowships.
- Work with EWA staff and consultants to undertake initiatives to upgrade and continuously improve EWA’s online presence.
- Evaluate data and produce regular reports on all communications and marketing efforts to inform and refine strategies.
- Manage publication of the print and online programs for in-person events.
- Monitor the fields of education, journalism, and public policy to identify opportunities to promote EWA and the work of its members, leadership, and staff.
- Cultivate relationships with media outlets and place occasional opinion pieces.
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Traits
- Top-notch written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in increasing reach and engagement across platforms
- Ability to think strategically, proactively identify issues, and generate recommendations
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and conscientiously tackle tasks large and small
- Self-driven curiosity and an interest in finding creative solutions to everyday challenges
- Superior project management skills and attention to detail
- Initiative and a high level of professionalism
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of related experience
- Experience in membership nonprofit organizations a plus
- Background in or passion for K-12 and higher education issues or journalism a plus
- Proficiency with G Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and basic CSS/HTML
- Proficiency with social media platforms and keen interest in learning new tools and systems
In addition to our fun and rewarding environment, EWA offers a number of benefits for our full-time staff:
- Competitive salary and growth potential
- Paid annual and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Metro accessible office
- On-site fitness center
- Health/vision/dental coverage (individual premiums mostly paid by EWA)
- Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short- and long-term disability coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
Send a resume and a detailed cover letter (as attachments) explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit to email@example.com.
Be sure to include your salary expectations. Travel required. This is not a telecommuting position. No phone calls, please.
EWA is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EWA is committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of its mission.