The Kresge Foundation’s External Affairs and Communications Team has an immediate opening for a Communications Officer.
About the Foundation
The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 largest private foundations in the U.S. Our staff of over 100 employees works to expand opportunities in America’s cities for people with low incomes. We do this through grantmaking and social investing nationally in arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and placed-based work in Detroit, Memphis, New Orleans, and other parts of the country.
Our state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting features. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
About the position
The Communications Officer is responsible for identifying, researching, writing, visualizing and promoting news stories, press releases, case studies, videos, and other content to promote understanding of The Kresge Foundation’s mission, grantmaking and investing through compelling data-driven storytelling across all media. This position serves as an integral partner and strategic advisor to develop and execute communication plans that advance the priorities of the Foundation.
- Identifies, captures and packages new knowledge generated by the Foundation – as well as specific Program and Practice teams for sharing within their respective fields – with the philanthropic sector, more generally, and with other important external audiences and partners.
- Identifies, researches and writes news stories, press releases, case studies and other materials to promote understanding of Kresge’s mission, grantmaking and investing through compelling, data-driven storytelling across all media.
- Writes columns and opinion pieces for the Foundation and Programs and Practices, as needed.
- Conceptualizes, originates content, scripts and produces video, multi-media, web and audio products.
- Creates and/or edits content for speeches and presentations, assuring alignment with the Foundation’s overall communications plan and key messages.
- Creates, posts and updates content for the Foundation’s website, Kresge.org.
- Brings the full complement of communications tools to bear – traditional, digital, graphic, social media and event management – to create and deliver content that is visual, consistent and integrated for maximum reach to desired audiences.
- Helps build the social media presence and capacity of the Foundation – and specific Program and Practices – through direct creation and social media training.
- Assists Kresge grantees and partners with their communications needs, including advising, reviewing and editing press releases, research reports and other materials, as needed; orchestrating from behind-the-scenes or assisting with media and other events, as needed.
- Stays abreast of the local, regional and national media to identify and pitch new stories that illustrate Kresge’s programmatic priorities and objectives, makes visible issues of strategic importance to the Foundation, and extends the work of Program and Practice teams.
- Provides research and project support for the External Affairs and Communications Office as needed.
- Assists with copyediting, fact checking and quality control as needed.
- Serves as back-up to fellow communications staffers, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in communications, journalism or related liberal arts field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working as a professional writer or communications officer.
- Demonstrates ownership of responsibilities with some management oversight.
- Strong commitment to the Foundation’s vision, values and equity with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
- Demonstrated news judgment, writing, researching and interviewing skills.
- Ability to accurately translate complicated technical and/or scholarly information to sector and mainstream audiences using clear, accessible prose.
- Experience with content-management systems, social media, search engine optimization and Web-based technology.
- Thorough knowledge and practice of Associated Press style.
- Ability to juggle tasks, quickly adapt to changing needs. work independently and as part of a dynamic and evolving team.
- Fervor to keep up with rapidly changing communications technology.
- Experience with Web and print publishing desirable.
- Experience designing, scripting, developing content and producing video, multi-media, Web and audio products desirable.
Application deadline for this position is 11:59pm EST on March 8, 2021
Kresge is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Please note: Due to the coronavirus pandemic, all Kresge staff are working remotely, and our Troy and Detroit offices remain closed until further notice. Kresge staff will not be traveling or attending in-person meetings during this time. Thank you for your understanding.