Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the 21st century. We build open source technology and organize a network of people dedicated to making government services simple, effective, and easy to use.
Our employees build and transform government services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, non-profit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for both government and the people government serves, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is hiring a Content Manager, reporting to the Senior Manager of Content Marketing, who will be responsible for amplifying Code for America’s messaging with the goal of clear, compelling, easy-to-understand content across all channels that moves people to action.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who can give a clear voice to our advocacy, articulate the societal impact of our products and programs, and elevate the stories of our staff, volunteers, government partners who strive to make government better every day—and, most importantly the people we serve through Code for America’s work.
You’re a content strategy expert with a track record of developing omni-channel communications that deliver. As a Code for America storyteller, you will be responsible for producing and/or project managing a wide variety of content across our owned channels including blog posts, case studies, web copy, fundraising materials, and other marketing collateral. Bonus points if you have a background in journalism, the nonprofit sector, political campaigns, or the social good space.
If you’re strong on combining content strategy with a people-first approach to storytelling and want to work with passionate, committed, supportive, talented people who care about fixing some of the biggest challenges facing our country today, this may be the job for you.
In this position, you will:
- Oversee and project manages owned media on the Code for America blog.
- Ensure content is aligned with organizational marketing and advocacy goals.
- Collaborate with Code for America leadership and staff to execute a strategy for creating relevant, valuable, and timely content.
- Write, edit, proofread, research, and work with others across the organization (and external partners) to ensure clear, concise, and compelling content.
- Write and/or edit timely responses to news and thought leadership pieces from staff, fellows, volunteers, partners, and outside contributors.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A passion for Code for America’s mission
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in communications, journalism, marketing, or content strategy
- Strong writing skills and a track record of engaging audiences, especially in varied voices
- An ability to advocate for one’s ideas; and equally able to take constructive feedback
- A proven track record of delivering results using data to inform storytelling approaches
- Strong project management skills with careful attention to detail
- An ability to manage a diversity of stakeholders, including government partners
- Demonstrated success in building strong relationships across teams and working collaboratively and thoughtfully
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment; flexibility and adaptability with competing priorities and deadlines
- Experience working with a CMS
Code for America offers full health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.
Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from $70,000 to $90,000 in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we target the median for all new hires. The median for this role is $80,000. These ranges and target are for the San Francisco/ Bay Area market and may be adjusted for cost of living differential if located outside of a major metropolitan area/ city.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, people with prior convictions, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
|Job Category||Communications, Digital|