- 5-7 news articles or equivalent that were published by professional news organizations or equivalent (not self-published or published by student media)
- 1-2 editing samples; optional, but not required
- 1-2 page design samples; optional, but not required
- At least 3 references
This position is responsible for researching, writing and editing communications content for the Puyallup Tribe.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develop ideas, research and write feature stories, reports, statements, quotations, etc., for targeted audiences and communication vehicles such as press releases, website pages, op-ed pieces, newsletters, reports and Tribal newspaper articles
2. Serve as editor of Tribal newspaper, coordinating staff and contract content producers and planning content to create a quality, timely source of news both in print and digital.
3. Edit submitted content.
4. Respond to readers about coverage, submissions, complaints, etc.
5. Serve as backup media relations / public information officer for Tribe
6. Contribute to crisis communications response as needed.
7. Maintain Communications Department content systems such as editorial calendar, photo/video shoot calendars, etc.
8. Lay out print pages, post content to digital channels, etc.
9. Research and respond to internal and external requests for information, answer questions and resolve issues and concerns.
10. Draft communications plans for review.
11. Assist with and coordinate media outreach for the Tribe.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities, but may assign tasks, and provide oversight and training, to other staff members.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Communications, Public Relations or Journalism or a related field and a minimum of three years of communications work experience is required. Strong newswriting or public relations writing skills is required.
Intermediate to extensive knowledge of word processing is required. Must demonstrate satisfactory experience performing writing and photography assignments for a community newspaper/journal.
Experience in layout and design experience is helpful. Experience and knowledge using desktop publishing software is preferred. Working knowledge of Associated Press style is preferred.
Experience in Native American customs and traditions is required, as well as a sensitivity and appreciation for Elders, youth and other members of this and neighboring Tribes.
Must have experience in maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information. Must demonstrate and stay up to date on knowledge of privacy, contempt and defamation laws.
Must be able to work long hours and carry and unpredictable schedule.
Must be able to ask difficult questions, often in an emotionally charged situation.
Must demonstrate a strong ethical belief system and desire to tell the truth while remaining unbiased.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to follow oral instructions and write news and feature stories using correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ration and percentages.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted Washington State driver’s license and proof of insurance. Driver’s License restrictions must not prevent the employee from complying with the Tribe’s Vehicle Use Policy or driving a GSA vehicle.
Must have reliable transportation.
This position must be able to work with all levels of personnel within the Organization and with clients and vendors.
Must be able to work within a tight deadline and fact-check information quickly and accurately. Must demonstrate ability to delve into a story to search for facts.
Must demonstrate strong communication skills, both written and oral. Must demonstrate an eye for detail.
Must be able to multi-task and set priorities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires the ability to operate a personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is frequently required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level is moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Exposure to hazardous materials in minimal.
- Requires travel using employee’s own transportation.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
INDIAN PREFERENCE EMPLOYER AS REQUIRED BY LAW
Find the position and apply here.
For questions call: 253-573-7863 or email: email@example.com.