As part of the Marketing and Communications team, the Content Strategy Specialist will be a leader as well as a contributor in developing, executing and measuring strategic communications plans that support the Carle Illinois brand. This position is responsible for creating, managing and executing marketing and strategic communications solutions to achieve desired business results and in support of the Carle Illinois College of Medicine mission. This position will develop compelling stories for external audiences and informational content for internal audiences. The ideal candidate will thrive in a highly collaborative team environment. This position will report to the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. View more information here.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES INCLUDE:
Content Strategy and Production
- Under the direction of the Executive Director, work with college leadership to identify, develop and execute a content strategy that advances the mission of the college.
- Strategize, write, edit, proofread and publish content for multimedia projects that align with MarCom goals including student recruitment, advancement, reputation building, and research.
- Develop written content for CI MED website, social media, newsletters, press releases, advertising, marketing materials and publications.
- Develop strategies and plans to ensure relevant, timely, impactful and measurable content.
- Interview and write stories about students, faculty, staff, donors, and alumni that deliver on the college’s marketing goals.
- Provide knowledge on marketing, content strategy and techniques including: Site mapping, content inventories, audits, user personas, and page tables.
- Provide quality assurance on all content deliverables (including proofreading) and maintain consistent brand voice and tone throughout all content.
- Work within the CI MED brand strategy and messaging framework.
- Exercise professional, independent journalistic judgment on the selection of newsworthy research to write and promote.
- Coordinate and strategize with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator on social media and website content.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Marketing and Communications Coordinator to ensure web copy aligns with the brand strategy and edit web copy before publishing.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, create and maintain the college style guide for all message development.
- Use storytelling techniques to drive home key messages and deliver outcomes in support of college priorities.
- In collaboration with Executive Director and Marketing and Communications Coordinator, plan, conduct and analyze audience research to inform content strategy, marketing campaigns and web projects.
- Maintain awareness of relevant content to share with CI MED audiences.
- Stay informed on current topics/trends relevant to CI MED written content; make recommendations to Executive Director.
Marketing and Communications Coordination
- Manage the MarCom editorial calendar.
- Create and implement college-level marketing solutions that achieve goals and build the Carle Illinois brand.
- Build and maintain relationships with Carle Illinois faculty, staff, students, donors, and alumni.
- Share creative communication solutions with college partners.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator to set deadlines and manage workflow.
- Collaborate on or create videos, podcasts, or graphics to accompany written content.
- Create and maintain press email lists.
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator, provide editorial oversight of all marketing messaging for internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with student interns on content creation and gather information for written content as needed.
- Help evaluate metrics and marketing goals as they relate to content strategy.
- Provide coordination, editorial, writing, and other services to communications and marketing projects for the college, and its units and programs.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, work with public relations consultants in developing thought leadership strategies and tactics.
- Work in collaboration with MarCom team to develop and produce high-quality brand videos for various stakeholder groups.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships; work cooperatively and collegially with others in a manner consistent with a workplace of dignity and respect; support and engage in equal opportunity principles, rules, and regulations.
- Foster a culture of diversity and inclusion within the Carle-Illinois College of Medicine.
- Champion positive inter-professional relationships bridging the college’s private/public organization and missions.
- Perform other related duties or projects as assigned to further the mission of the college.
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations or a related field.
- Three (3) years of professional work experience in marketing, public relations, communications, brand management, or a related professional area.
- Experience across multiple media including video, social media platforms and websites.
- Demonstrated experience interviewing individuals for articles and writing articles for different audiences and formats, including experience in both digital and traditional media.
- Working knowledge of social media and web-based analytic tools to provide data-based decision support around content generation and distribution strategies.
- Experience using Airtable to manage content.
- Experience working in higher education, specifically medical education.
- Experience working in all types of social media including the ability to tell a story that appeals to different segments of prospective audiences.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Thoughtful and process-oriented, with a passion for serving the needs of the audience.
- Evidence of the ability to work independently, exercise good judgement and prioritize. tasks. Ability to work collaboratively in a high-paced, dynamic, team-based environment.
- Excellent judgment and discretion, especially in the handling of confidential and/or sensitive issues and information.
- Self-motivated passion for growing and adapting to change. Ability to manage multiple projects, multi-task, often with frequent interruptions.
- Must be detail oriented with excellent organizational skills.
Salary and Appointment Information
This is a full-time civil service, benefits-eligible, Marketing Associate position. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Procedures and Deadline Information
View more information on the Carle Illinois College of Medicine here. Applications must be received by June 24, 2020. Apply for this position, create a candidate profile here. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms. Step 3) Upload the following:
- Cover letter.
- Resume (months and years of employment must be included).
- Academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable).
- Names/contact information for three references.
- A long format writing sample.
- Sample of digital content which can be in the form of a website, social media, or video script, for example.
Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact the search committee at HumanResources@Medicine.Illinois.edu. For questions regarding the UI application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.