A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
As a member of NPR’s Digital Content team, the copy editor will handle stories and visuals that appear across NPR platforms, including npr.org, Facebook, @NPR on Twitter and our breaking news alert system. You’ll edit stories, headlines, teasers and other display copy for spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, tone and SEO best practices. This role is a leading voice in ensuring accuracy, consistency and quality across NPR platforms. This editor will help maintain the NPR style guide and work with NPR’s standards and practices editor and other newsroom personnel to identify and correct errors in accordance with NPR’s corrections policy. The Digital Content copy editor will coordinate with engagement editors, desk editors, newsroom leaders and others during breaking news coverage, special programming and live events to help establish editing priorities. The incumbent will work a 40-hour week. Schedules may include early morning and evening hours and some weekends and holidays.
- Copy edits and proofreads stories, display copy and other text for spelling, grammar, accuracy, style, punctuation, fairness, balance and tone.
- Copy edits short- and long-form digital stories, blog posts, graphics and visual narratives, often under tight deadlines.
- Writes and edits headlines, teasers, captions and other display copy.
- Works with appropriate staff to edit multimedia elements, including photo galleries, video text, graphics and visual narratives.
- Copy edits original stories from NPR staff and freelancers.
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts, including some weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
- At least five years of experience as a copy editor in a daily newsroom.
- At least one year of experience in editorial decision-making.
- Demonstrated skills in copy editing and headline writing.
- Thorough knowledge of Associated Press style.
- A broad range of general news knowledge.
- Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Willingness to learn skills necessary to work on digital platforms; ability to adapt to changes in equipment, software and workflow.
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
- Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as needed, including early morning, nights, weekends and occasional holidays.
- Ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
- Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
- Experience with editing under breaking news conditions.
- Experience copy editing commentary.
- Daily news experience.
- Experience in digital media.
- Knowledge of audio production.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
|Job Category||Print, Radio|