Position at Mashable
Mashable is looking for an experienced web culture reporter with deep knowledge of the internet, influencer culture, and web trends. If you spend all of your time thinking about TikTok, diving deep into Instagram, following the comment threads on Reddit, and investigating strange communities online, bring your weirdest and most interesting stories to life at Mashable.
The ideal candidate can write news hits quickly and cleanly. They also know how to write thoughtful stories about internet trends, and can handle sensitive topics such as race, sex, identity, and online abuse. They will be expected to write about tech platforms, but not live in a tech bubble — knowledge of pop culture and current events is a major plus.
They should have an active social media presence and an eagerness to appear on camera across multiple platforms, and know how to craft a good tweet.
The ideal candidate doesn’t wait for stories to be assigned to them. Instead, they proactively find and pitch stories, and are always looking for reliable sources and interesting angles on interesting and timely news topics. And, this is important, their copy should be accurate and clean.
The culture reporter will report to Mashable’s deputy culture editor. This position is part of the Ziff Davis Creators Guild, a NewsGuild union. For more information, please visit the NewsGuild website.
Ziff Media Group is committed to diversity and encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
You, our perfect hire, are…
- Obsessed with the internet and apps, especially TikTok, influencers, and Gen-Z trends.
- A detail-oriented writer who can generate compelling story ideas and understands the magic of a good headline.
- A natural self-starter and organized professional who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player who values the success of their coworkers and Mashable as a whole.
- A top-notch writer with a firm grasp of AP style and the ability to quickly turn around clean copy.
- Well-versed in SEO and a variety of social media platforms, including TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, and whatever else comes next.
- Willing to chat about the day’s events and find interesting angles and stories to cover. Our Slack is very fast paced, and filled with an abundant amount of weird emoji.
- Bonus if you are interested in covering cannabis culture and tech
- Write breaking news hits and trend features.
- Promote Mashable content on Twitter and Facebook.
- Appear in video content for Mashable’s website, Instagram, Snapchat, and other platforms.
- 3+ years writing for a media publication, with solid experience working for an online outlet.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of the digital space and Mashable’s core coverage areas.