The Public’s Radio seeks a Daily Editor for its growing news department. If you’re passionate about journalism, eager to try new approaches to daily story-telling across platforms, we invite you to think about joining us at The Public’s Radio.
We are a small, but growing shop, serving Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts. In the last three years, we’ve added three regional bureaus, an investigative desk and a science and environment reporter to our mix. And we plan to continue to grow in the coming years as we plan for stronger local broadcast and digital content at The Public’s Radio. But we will never replace the vastly declining sources of local news and we don’t aspire to do that. We take a strategic and creative approach to daily news coverage, looking for new ways to tell stories through broadcast and digital channels, prioritizing the stories our journalists are following in a more longitudinal way. That said, when news breaks, whether it’s a hurricane or a major social justice protest, we cover it, with accurate, timely reporting. In fact, our breaking news coverage in 2020 was recognized with both PMJA and regional Murrow awards.
The Daily Editor will work closely with the editorial team at The Public’s Radio, assigning and editing daily stories, 2-ways and short turnaround features for broadcast and web. The Daily Editor will be part of the planning process for our future journalism initiatives. The daily editor reports to the Chief Content Officer/Managing Editor. This is a full-time position with benefits.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has a passion for finding enterprise stories in the news
- Has experience editing both broadcast and digital stories
- Has demonstrated excellence in conceptualizing stories, guiding reporting and writing.
- Has experience training and editing journalists
- Values working collaboratively with reporters of different backgrounds and skill sets.
The ideal candidate has:
- 2-3 years of journalism experience, including a minimum of 1 year as an editor.
- Knowledge of issues important to Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts
- A keen sense of the elements of a good story
- Demonstrated digital skills, including some familiarity with data visualization and photography
- Demonstrated audio editing skills, preferably with use of Adobe Audition
- Experience managing reporters, interns.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese
- College degree or equivalent experience
Job Duties include:
- Daily assignments
- Daily edits for broadcast and web
- Writing The Daily Catch, our email newsletter
- Scheduling host interviews
- Production, including audio editing, mixing, as needed
- Management of The Public’s Radio intern program, including training and mentoring
- Working with CCO and Investigative Editor on assignments and story coordination
- Participating in on-air fund-raising, as appropriate.
- Working with our community engagement team to plan events and expand our community outreach.
- Other duties as determined by the Chief Content Officer.
The Public’s Radio is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) provider, committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. The Public’s Radio is a non-profit public media organization serving Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
How to Apply
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line of Daily Editor. No phone calls, please. Position open until filled. Salary commensurate with experience.
View full job description Here.