The New Republic is looking for an exacting, ambitious, and experienced design director to join our staff.
This is a full-time position based in New York City or DC. The design director works closely with the editor to carry out the visual strategy for the print magazine, and is responsible for designing and executing the layouts for the entire print magazine.
- Design and lay out the entire print magazine according to established templates, including the front of book, feature well, and back of book sections
- Conceptualize and assign all print illustration
- Conceptualize and design the cover
- Supervise the photo editor and the production manager
- Collaborate with the digital art director and managing editor to produce print-to-web features and establish efficient production systems
- Maintain and enforce the style book
Skills & Qualifications:
- Cross-platform understanding of latest trends and best practices in editorial design
- Demonstrated familiarity with ad production
- Excellent communication, organizational, and analytical skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, coordinate multiple workflows, and maintain firm deadlines with direct reports and freelancers
- Demonstrated fluency with InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Minimum five years of print editorial experience
To apply, please submit your résumé, five samples of work you’ve designed or art directed, and a cover letter explaining why you’re right for this job. The cover letter should be tailored to TNR and show an understanding of our sensibility and history. Only candidates who submit cover letters and work samples will be considered.
The New Republic is committed to diversity and encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, people with criminal records, veterans, and people with disabilities. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
The deadline for applications is July 1.
|Job Category||Graphic Design|