Are you an ace copy editor who can come up with print and web headlines that sing? Do you also happen to be a bibliophile who enjoys the arts? The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization and one of the nation’s premier regional news sources, is looking for a versatile full-time Features Desk Editor who will be charged with copy editing our Sunday Features section.
In this multifaceted role, you will oversee our books and travel freelance coverage as well as assign and edit this content (while handling some freelance Arts pieces as well). You will also get to do some web production with our WordPress-based CMS. You should be detail-oriented and familiar with AP style. Desk editors safeguard the credibility of The Seattle Times across all platforms by ensuring that all content is accurate, ethical, fair and is presented in a timely, compelling manner designed to maximize audience. Applicants will have to take and pass The Seattle Times’ editing test.
- Copy edit our entire Sunday Features section. This includes pulling some wire content, writing headlines and decks and working with assigning editors and our graphics department to produce the section every week.
- Be the point person for books coverage at The Seattle Times. This includes working with editors and reporters to plan books coverage, assign and edit book-related freelance stories and reviews, and keeping an eye on metrics to consistently evaluate and improve how we cover the Seattle and Pacific Northwest literary scene.
- Work with our travel coverage team to assign and edit freelance and wire travel and wellness stories.
- Pull wire of regular syndicated columns for the section.
- Edit other stories as assigned.
- Help with Features department web production and social media as needed.
- Serves as backup for all Weekend Plus section production: including copy editing and listings compilation, when needed.
- Experience: At least three years of journalism experience in copy editing roles at a major daily or local media publication is preferred.
- Education: This position requires a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, English, literature or a related field. An M.A. in literature, or M.F.A in creative writing is a bonus.
- Mastery of grammar, spelling, punctuation and AP Style.
- Strong news judgment.
- Attention to detail.
- Creativity with headline writing for print and web.
- Interest in books and/or working knowledge of the national literature scene — familiarity with the Pacific Northwest literature scene is a bonus.
- Interest in travel and wellness.
- Familiarity with digital skills such as SEO-friendly headline writing and how to evaluate analytics to aid in making coverage decisions.
- Familiarity with daily newspapers and with the WordPress CMS are bonuses.
- Adept with social media: must demonstrate an understanding and willingness to engage with readers on multiple platforms.
Mostly Monday through Friday, from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. daily. Some weekends may be required on occasion.
This position requires mandatory union dues be paid on an ongoing monthly basis.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.