The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization and one of the nation’s premier regional news sources, is looking for a proven Desk Editor to join our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom. As part of our team, you will ensure news-worthy content moves rapidly through initial draft to final product with accuracy, sense, fairness, grammar and style. You should be comfortable working under tight deadlines with ease while supporting multiple editors at once. Ideally, you have previous experience (and mastery) with both AP and local style.
- Writing Web headlines with SEO in mind and print headlines that expand on them.
- Evaluating and selecting wire stories (business, national or world).
- Working collaboratively with various teams at The Seattle Times.
- Maintain a consistent high-quality product with sharp grammar and unfailing accuracy.
- Continuously work to improve the efficiency and speed of the copy-editing process.
If your profile doesn’t match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives.
- Experience: At least five years of experience as a copy editor at a daily metro news organization.
- Education: College degree, or equivalent combination of education and/or professional experience.
- Strong editing skills, as demonstrated by performance on an editing test
- Strong news judgment
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under deadline pressure
- Adeptness with social media: ability to engage with readers on multiple platforms
- Familiarity with WordPress is a plus
Variable schedule, including nights, weekends, and occasional holidays.
This role requires union dues be paid on a monthly basis as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the employer and union.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.