America Amplified is a public media initiative designed to facilitate and support community engagement reporting across the public media system. We will be recruiting 20 stations from across the country to work with America Amplfied in building community engagement practices into the stations’ journalism practices. We need a digitally savvy individual to play the lead in promoting digital engagement practices, as well as updating and maintaining our website and sharing best practices in social media engagement and marketing. The Digital Content Editor will play a leading role in navigating the challenges ahead. WYFI in Indianapolis, is leading the initiative. This project is funded through November 2022 by a Corporation for Public Broadcasting grant.
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
The digital content editor will manage daily editorial production associated with the America Amplified initiative with a primary focus on digital and social media. The digital content manager will maximize social and digital reach of the project. They will write bi-weekly newsletters to update partners and the wider public media system on engagement events and strategies and will continuously update the America Amplified website and support the implementation of tools, trainings and marketing. This position will also work with participating stations to design social media and marketing strategies to increase engagement. This person will value, contribute to and sustain WFYI’s commitment to a culture of belonging that sees our culture’s history of power and privilege and seeks to balance that with the inclusion of many diverse experiences and perspectives.
- Manage and communicate the editorial strategy through effective communication with news directors/editors across the public media system. Establish these communication channels with the intention of building lasting capacity and connective tissue that will fuel future local engagement and collaborative journalism efforts across America.
- Support the implementation of tools, trainings and marketing across the initiative and help develop best practices for community convenings, listening sessions, surveys, and other engagement efforts, contributing to the America Amplified community engagement playbook updates.
- Write weekly bi-weekly newsletters to update partners and the wider public media system on engagement events and strategies.
- Work with participating stations to design social media and marketing strategies to increase engagement.
- Update the America Amplified website.
- Provide critical support and capacity (often editing) to overwhelmed local staffs while also elevating the entire system’s capabilities.
- Create and advocate for visual reporting elements that involve data gathering and presentation tools that are audience-centric. For example, interactive maps, graphs, or other visualizations that can be adapted across multiple websites and stations.
- Manage social media efforts across the collaboration through local guidance and collaborative execution.
- Work with the Managing Director and Training Coordinator to incorporate digital and social engagement practices into the work of collaboratives.
- Innovate in how America Amplified content is best presented to local, regional and national audiences.
- Participate in appropriate fund-raising and outreach activities, on air and off.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related field required; or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience; and at least three years of experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- More than five years of editing experience in a media organization. Experience in public media is a plus.
- Proven news judgment and journalistic integrity.
- Demonstrated experience in social media marketing and promotion
- Strong knowledge of current and developing marketing communications strategies across newsletter, website, SEO, social media, mobile and developing technologies.
- Experience building and maintaining a website
- Must understand best practices across multiple social media platforms and the knowledge base to develop best practices for emerging media types.
- Image editing and publishing skills (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) required. Visual communications skills such as photography and multimedia a plus.
- Comprehensive knowledge of major social media management platforms, analytics, social media reporting tools, analytics for Google and its products (e.g. YouTube, Google+). Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of internet applications (e.g. Google Analytics) and content publishing tools (e.g. WordPress) and familiarity with various resources to keep up-to-date on the latest news in digital marketing, communications, sales and design.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with both internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with various personalities.
- Ability to multi-task and oversee diverse projects simultaneously in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability and willingness to work a varied schedule.
- Enthusiasm for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
- Experience collaborating with partners to create content.
SALARY AND SUPERVISION
This position reports directly to the Managing Director and can be fully remote. Salary is commensurate with experience. This position is funded by a CPB grant.