inewsource is a nonprofit newsroom in San Diego dedicated to engaging and serving the diverse communities in California’s second most populous county with its investigative and accountability journalism. We are looking for a Digital Content Manager who will play a central role in achieving that goal by overseeing our digital platforms that are our “face to the world.”
At its core, this role is about building our audience and our relationships with our readers through our content. By extension, you play an important role in supporting the team that generates support for the journalism.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about fact-based reporting, accuracy and trustworthiness and is up for the challenge of taking responsibility for compelling story presentation and engaging social media messaging. You’re encouraged to speak up about what’s working and how things could be improved.
If it seems like a lot to take on, don’t worry; you won’t be tackling it alone. You’ll be joining a collaborative team of reporters, editors and fundraisers with a wide range of expertise. You would likely have an intern to mentor, supervise and help in achieving your goals.
What you’d be doing
This is a job for someone who’s excited to put their digital and writing skills to work for a mission-driven nonprofit. It’s a job for someone who believes with their whole heart that fact-based, civic journalism can change communities, institutions and people for the better. We’d love it if you pushed us to consider new ways of producing journalism and reaching audiences that we haven’t yet thought of.
Who we’re looking for
You might not think you have the right expertise for a Digital Content Manager job at an investigative news outlet. Even if you haven’t been in journalism before, you could be a great fit. Believe me, we are not technology or engagement experts and we want to learn from you.
Perhaps you’ve spent time at a policy shop, or in academia, or worked in the tech industry or any other sphere in which you’ve been able to witness the power of facts to enable action.
- are passionate about the impact of journalism in local democracy
- embrace the importance of letting facts speak for themselves
- express yourself clearly and well and can walk the line between having a voice and having an attitude
- can convey complex matters to a broad audience in plain, colloquial English without talking down to them
- are comfortable with juggling tasks
- constantly question received wisdom and “the way it’s always been done”
- are relentlessly curious, always ready to own up to what you don’t know and then dive in and learn it.
We’re always looking to diversify our newsroom. San Diego is a richly diverse place and we want to make sure we connect with communities and hear their priorities for information. Equity is a focus of our reporting. If you’re from a minority group, you may have a particularly keen sense for that.
If this sounds exciting but you’re not sure you fit the bill, reach out anyway at firstname.lastname@example.org with a few lines about yourself (what skills would you bring that we just haven’t thought of?) and a couple of questions to get a sense of whether this might be for you. At worst we’ll say no, and we promise to say it with kindness.
Who you’d be working with
inewsource is a small but mighty newsroom that has spent the last 11 years dedicated to holding public leaders accountable, watching out for taxpayer money, provoking a search for solutions to governmental and societal problems, and strengthening democracy in our region. All of our content is published on the web, sometimes in print and always aired on radio and TV.
Right now, we are a team of 15 people, including full-time reporters, editors, an intern and a handful of people on the business side. We have big plans to grow in the next couple of years.
In 2019, we earned a major national validation and a large investment in our long-term sustainability from the American Journalism Project, a new venture philanthropy group committed to saving civic news. This funding will be used to build a robust revenue team that will be responsible for maintaining and growing the newsroom.
Brad Racino, an award-winning journalist who heads our digital presence and our partnerships, would be your supervisor and your thought partner. He’s a persistent digger for the truth, a great writer and a really nice guy.
We’re in the midst of building our revenue strategy team and we would welcome your input as we design positions and recruit.
The nitty gritty
- Oversee design and development decisions related to the layout, user interface, and user experience of inewsource’s audience-facing digital platforms and products (website, newsletters, social media accounts) in response to audience and business needs. Partner with NewsPack and other third party digital services, partners and contractors on the development and implementation of new and improved features and functionality.
- Manage digital content production and distribution based on editorial and marketing/development calendars. Collaborate with business and editorial on the development of effective and efficient workflows. Train additional staffers on web and newsletter production to serve as back-up producers. Manage a social media/web intern to assist in daily production needs.
- Collaborate with business and editorial teams on the development of initiatives that expand and deepen engagement with inewsource’s online audiences and grow digital revenue. Manage their implementation on inewsource’s digital platforms.
- Work closely with the business team establishing and tracking audience growth and development KPIs for inewsource’s digital and social media platforms.
- Monitor and analyze digital analytics, conduct research into user behavior and distribute regular reports to the business team.
- Promote the use of data-driven insights in editorial decision making and provide recommendations on strategies that increase audience engagement and trust. Optimize digital and social content including implementation of SEO strategies and A/B testing of headlines.
What we’ll give you
We pay a wage that’s commensurate with your experience and competitive with other similar jobs descriptions. We’ve targeted this salary range at $60,000 to $65,000. We have a range of benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401K, vacation, holidays and more.
Our goal is to serve our community and meet our mission everyday and that means helping you do your best work in a place that makes you feel welcome and valued.
Location: San Diego, CA (You will be working remotely for the foreseeable future.)
Start Date: Flexible.
Starting Salary: $60,000-$65,000 DOE
inewsource is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at inewsource are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, age, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in California. inewsource will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.