BirdNote seeks a kind, thoughtful, and experienced leader to serve as Director of Communications. The ideal candidate has strong communications and media expertise, a deep understanding of the intersections of social and environmental issues, and can support BirdNote to grow our audience and engage a greater diversity of listeners with its programming about birds.
BirdNote is an independent media organization that produces programs aimed at inspiring people to notice and care about birds. These include our two-minute BirdNote Daily show that airs on NPR affiliate stations across the US and popular longform podcasts, including Bring Birds Back with host Tenijah Hamilton and Threatened with host Ari Daniel. Our estimated audience size is three million and growing.
Starting salary range: $75,000 – $80,000. Includes benefits package with paid time off, employer matching retirement contributions, and medical, dental, disability, and life insurance.
Location: Virtual/remote. This is an exempt, 40-hour per week position with flexibility in scheduling, but required availability during portions of the regular M-F work week. This position will require some occasional travel.
Reporting Structure and Support: This position reports to BirdNote’s Executive Director, Nick Bayard, and manages a small communications team. This position also works in partnership with BirdNote’s production and development teams and BirdNote’s Science Advisory Council. Successful candidates do not need to be bird or science experts.
Commitment to Antiracism: The long and ongoing history of racial oppression in the United States and the centering of white people and privileged groups throughout much of the mainstream environmental movement requires us to intentionally practice antiracism in our organizational processes and media production. BirdNote is committed to creating the inclusive environmentalism we want to see in the world. We strongly encourage individuals from communities that have been historically underrepresented in public media and environmental organizations to apply.
- Direct and manage BirdNote’s communications across all platforms, including website, social media, and email
- Ensure that BirdNote communications speak to everyone, especially to individuals and groups historically harmed and/or ignored by the mainstream environmental movement
- Ensure BirdNote communications have a consistent voice across platforms, which includes proofreading and copyediting on social media posts, email campaigns, podcast ads, website content, grants, and newsletters
- Lead branding, design, and product management efforts for BirdNote and serve as BirdNote’s brand steward
- Serve as a spokesperson of BirdNote at meetings and events
- Promote BirdNote content to broadcast industry, media, and other outlets
- Use quantitative and qualitative data to inform continuous improvement of communications strategies
- Develop and maintain organizational partnerships that advance our goals of growing and diversifying our audience
- Serve as a member of the BirdNote Leadership Team along with the Executive Director, Content Director, and Development Director
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated training and/or background in communications
- Understanding of the intersections of social and environmental issues and ability to develop inclusive and antiracist branding and communications strategies
- Passion for BirdNote’s mission of connecting people to the joy and wonder of nature by telling vivid, sound-rich stories about birds and the challenges they face and inspiring people to take steps to protect the natural world
- Leadership style that is organized and proactive
- Ability to grow podcast and/or radio audiences through traditional means and creative experimentation
- Experience with graphic design and graphic design software
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Understanding of social media campaigns and strategies on a wide range of social media networks
- Connections with and/or ability to quickly network with broad and diverse media networks
- Personal commitment to continuous learning and growth
- Ability to mindfully give and receive direct feedback
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Finalists will be asked to provide three references. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by January 30, 2022 and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
If you previously applied to this position during our recruiting phase that ended in December 2021, your application is still under consideration and you do not need to re-apply. If you have any questions or updates to your application, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BirdNote is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to an intentional organization-wide value placed on diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in our policies, practices, procedures, and content. BirdNote does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.
View full job description here.