The Reynolds Journalism Institute at the Missouri School of Journalism is seeking an outstanding individual who straddles the worlds of academia and professional practice to conduct and coordinate research for an audience of journalism practitioners and citizens who rely on robust news media.
This faculty member should be committed to understanding the role of journalism in communities, engaging audiences, measuring their interests and supporting content strategies based on the latest technologies, data streams and storytelling approaches. The successful applicant will also teach one course during the spring and fall semesters.
- Conduct academically rigorous research to test hypotheses that emerge from direct newsroom experience that will connect journalism to community and democracy.
- Create real-time experiments and other research projects at Missouri School of Journalism news outlets and strategic communications agencies.
- Publish research results in academically rigorous journals.
- Communicate research results on a regular basis with journalists and the general public via online stories, videos, social media posts, podcasts, presentations at national industry conferences and RJI-sponsored seminars.
- Pursue grant funding to support applied journalism and strategic communication research.
- Launch strategic research partnerships with news and community organizations, scholars and practitioners including RJI Fellows and University of Missouri students.
- Serve as a member of the RJI leadership team and collaborate closely with the Executive Director, Communications Director, Director of Innovation, Director of Project Outreach and the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies.
- A Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in journalism, communications, political science, or another relevant field.
- A minimum of three years of professional work experience in mass media.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience teaching face-to-face or online at the university level.
- Knowledge of and ability to implement the latest research software.
- Interest in and ability to work broadly across academic disciplines and media platforms.
- Personal contacts with industry professionals and the ability to expand RJI’s and the Missouri School of Journalism’s professional and academic partnerships.
- Ability to interact effectively in person and in writing with a wide and diverse range of students, peers and members of the public.
- Demonstrate your research agenda through publications, conference papers and/or presentations to both academic and general audiences.
This 12-month appointment will be at the rank of Tenure or Tenure-Track associate or full professor. Salary is open and commensurate with experience.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Applications must include a letter of interest, a C.V. or resume and list of professional references. Please visit: https://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/academic/ to access the online application system and reference job opening 31107.
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff, and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
To request ADA accommodations, please contact The Office of Accessibility & ADA Education at 573-884-7278 or CheekA@missouri.edu.
An equal opportunity/access/affirmative action/pro-disabled and veteran employer.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/h47cdmrvc3sb49w9