The Takeout is looking to fill the role of Editor-in-Chief. In less than two years, The Takeout has become one of the fastest-growing food sites on the internet, with 10M page views and 6.5M unique visitors monthly. We celebrate high and low food with equal reverence, and aim to tell stories that are helpful, interesting, funny, and engaging to our audience. This position will require some traveling but will primarily be based in Chicago.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set the strategic editorial policy for the site commensurate with the company’s overall goals
- Lead a tight group by establishing the editorial voice and for the direction of the site
- Ensure the site’s content in text, video and audio meets the highest standards of editorial excellence and positions the site as authoritative and agenda-setting
- Work with the G/O Media sales team to conceive and sell programs for brands, all the while ensuring the editorial firewall does not breach
- At least 7 years experience of managing a team and strong leadership skills
- Experience writing, reporting, and editing, preferably within the food and drink industry
- High levels of integrity and initiative
- First-rate editorial judgment and editorial skills
- Ability to generate original ideas for creative and engaging food-focused content
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, motivate and mentor a diverse and talented team of writers
- The perfect candidate is organized, non-judgmental, with an openness to thinking and trying differently
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.