Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik, and The Root. As part of G/O Media, we reach an audience of 120+ million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the role:
Gizmodo Media Group is currently looking for an Editor in Chief to lead and grow its iconic sports site, Deadspin. The ideal candidate is an excellent editor, natural reporter and strong manager with a proven track record of leading a team in producing incisive daily output and ambitious features and investigative work.
Deadspin is dedicated to telling the stories about sports that others can’t or won’t without fear or favor. The editorial voice is built on strong opinions, a conversational style, an eye for the absurd and an unwillingness to accept the official story. The right leader will have a sharp, long-term vision for growing the site across platforms and formats.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set the strategic editorial policy for the site commensurate with the company’s overall goals
- Ensure the site’s content in text, video and audio meets the highest standards of editorial excellence and positions the site as authoritative and agenda-setting
- Stewardship of the site’s unique authentic and fearless voice on sports, based on strong opinion, conversational style and skepticism of conventional wisdom
- Oversee daily production of the site’s output across multiple distribution channels
- Meet targets for growing the reach, loyalty and engagement of the site’s audience
- Hire, retain and develop editorial staff
- Manage the departmental budget
- Represent the title externally at events and in the media to raise its profile
- Strong leadership skills with at least seven years’ experience of managing a team of journalists in a fast-paced deadline-driven, digital environment
- High levels of integrity and initiative and an abiding passion for sports and sports journalism
- First-rate editorial judgement and editorial skills
- Ability to generate original ideas for creative and engaging sports-focused content
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, motivate and mentor a diverse and talented team of writers and editors
- Strong collaborative skills, including experience of liaising with stakeholders across the company
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
The role is based in New York City and reports to the Editorial Director.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.