The A.V. Club is looking for an Editor-in-Chief who is entrepreneurial, enterprising, and comfortable in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Bringing their deep expertise of the pop culture realm and a proven track record of leading editorial teams in the digital space is a must.
We’re looking for a strong leader who can inspire a group of writers and editors to create their best work. As Editor-in-Chief, you should have a sharp eye for detail and a passion for all things entertainment related. This person must be committed to diversity, have a clear understanding of journalistic ethics as they relate to cultural criticism and The A.V. Club, and enforces that as necessary across all sections.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the managing editor and video director to guide stories and editorial strategy
- Liaise between the editorial department and G/O Media’s sales and product teams
- Manage budget, logistics, and resource allocation for the department
- Use data insights and analytics to understand our audience, and inform the way curate and edit stories
- Work with the Senior Talent Partner in managing personnel, staffing, and hiring across a newsroom of writers and editors
- Organize and maintain weekly, monthly, and annual editorial calendars and ensure deadlines are being met
- 10+ years of editorial experience in digital media, including 5 years of experience as an editor
- Be capable of planning and turning around stories ranging from short news pieces to longer features at a quick pace
- Experience leading a large editorial team
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative problem-solving skills
- A skilled editor and writer
- Well organized, with experience managing content calendars
- Ability to juggle a vibrant daily newsroom’s many needs with ambitious, long-term projects
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.