Discover where your talent fits best at ALM…
At ALM, we’re reinventing the way professionals use information, news, data, marketing solutions and events to manage the business of business. That requires creativity, collaboration and innovation. Headquartered in New York City with 18 offices worldwide, ALM brands have been serving their markets since 1843. Join our team of talented ALMers working to create exceptional experience for our audiences and customers across the globe.
ABOUT THE TEAM: As part of ALM’s global newsroom, the litigation team is focused on cutting edge legal issues, consequential court cases, emerging trends in litigation—and the lawyers, judges and other professionals who are part of that world. We cover geographic centers including New York, San Francisco, Washington D.C., Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami and Atlanta, and our team includes a mix of senior and more junior reporters working collaboratively with editors across the country. Our team is committed to quality journalism and innovative thinking as we cover this area for a demanding and sophisticated business audience.
You’ll be editing reporters from all over the country, including the highly competitive Washington, D.C. market, who are covering everything from important court decisions to going through filings and identifying key suits, as well as looking for litigation trends and investigative and enterprise reporting related to litigation and litigators in the nation’s capital and beyond. We need someone who can coach reporters up to be fast and versatile, capable of covering breaking news as well as consistently producing strong enterprise. We need someone who loves talking to reporters about story ideas and guiding them, as well as editing multiple stories every day on deadline. This is a high-profile assignment for an editor who wants to edit stories for a national audience, as well as local ones.
- Must be able to write clearly, engagingly and authoritatively—and on a deadline.
- Must be able to establish and nurture relationships with lawyers, judges and lawmakers.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to juggle editing a stream of daily stories on tight deadlines as well as features and analysis.
- Must be able to manage and edit 3-5 reporters on a daily basis.
- Must be able to write 1-2 stories in a day when necessary as well as the occasional enterprise story.
- Must be able to edit cleanly and quickly, and also coach reporters on daily as well as long-term assignments.
- Must have a positive, can-do attitude.
- Must have good communication and time management skills and be a team player good at collaboration.
- Must be creative, curious and enthusiastic about using social platforms, video, interactive data, and other digital tools to enhance reporting and connect with readers.
- Ideally, 2-3 years’ experience in a daily news environment and some experience with legal or business journalism is preferred.