Environmental Reporting Fellowship
The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, are seeking journalists for reporting fellowships on an ongoing grant-funded environmental project.
The journalist will be a part of a three-person team that includes an award-winning, nationally recognized reporter and two reporting fellows. The team, working with the environment editor, will work on major projects, enterprise stories, daily coverage and content for social media channels. The position focuses primarily on reporting and research, including interviews with sources for stories.
The fellowships last one year and is full-time, 40 hours a week, and includes paid time off, health insurance and other company benefits.
This journalist works with the senior reporter and will be expected to work independently on some reporting and research. Experience in environmental journalism or research is preferred, as is knowledge of related topics, such as endangered species, climate change, water management, forest or land management.
The Republic covers issues specific to Arizona and of broader interest to the U.S. West, with an emphasis on the Colorado River, climate change, air quality, land management and water conservation. The stories are often shared across the USA TODAY Network.
The job also includes producing content tailored for social media. This journalist will help manage the project’s dedicated channels on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The staffer monitors news feeds and other sources for environmental topics and produces a range of content, including aggregated content from other sources and daily reported stories on trending topics.
- Gathers information from sources at any locations and through any means commonly available for news stories.
- Interviews subjects in person, over the telephone or via computers, and in writing.
- Travels as needed to conduct research or interviews.
- Researches written materials, graphic and photographic materials, as well as audio and video recordings.
- Quickly and accurately reports information, either verbally or electronically, for publication.
- Helps in the production of stories, videos, photographs and graphics that would be helpful in supporting stories.
- High school or equivalent and college degree preferred. Graduate students are encouraged to apply. Note that this is a full-time position.
- Strong command of AP writing, spelling, grammar, and style.
- Reporting skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience performing a wide variety of tasks under the pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required • Advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here’s what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match! Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
|Job Category||Multimedia, Print|