The New Republic is looking for a talented and creative front-end developer to play a lead role in redesigning our website and reimagining our digital products.
We’re looking for someone who obsesses over the needs of users and who can craft elegant, polished designs that will improve user experience and expand our loyal base of readers and subscribers. Candidates should be exploding with ideas, possess a pixel-perfect attention to detail, and must be committed to collegiality and excellence in everything they do. The front-end developer will identify, design, and build editorial initiatives—from news projects and social campaigns to daily newsletters—as well as events, sales, and marketing products. This full-time position is based in our New York office, and reports to the digital director.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate closely with key staff to design and implement products for mobile, tablet, and desktop, from an extensive redesign to sales and marketing integrations.
- Work closely with the digital director, back-end developer, and art director to launch new and elegant products (and to improve existing ones), while prioritizing multiple feature requests and product bugs.
- Establish design guidelines and standards to ensure consistent user experiences across platforms.
- Author CSS using BEM methodologies with CSS preprocessing tools such as SCSS.
- Define problems and goals, map user flows, prototype interactions, and oversee the building process.
- Develop quality product mock-ups and prototypes.
- Assist the back-end engineer with coding and troubleshooting.
- Collaborate with the back-end engineer to produce designs with clean, performant, maintainable code.
- Keep tabs on best practices and trends in digital media to inform future projects to grow TNR’s audience.
- Communicate regularly with key staff on project status, needs, and milestones.
- Execute weekly experiments to improve conversion rates.
- Create and integrate services to improve editorial flow.
- Train staff on new products.
- 3 to 5 years experience with front-end development and visual design.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing React.js.
- Experience optimizing mobile web applications.
- Familiarity with analytical and diagnostic tools for web performance.
- Ability to communicate technical issues to a nontechnical staff.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced editorial environment.
- Ability to handle multiple short- and long-term projects simultaneously
To apply, please submit your résumé and a cover letter explaining why you’re right for this job. The cover letter should be tailored to TNR and show an understanding of our sensibility and history—bonus points for those who pitch story ideas. Please include links to your work at other publications.
TNR offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
The New Republic is committed to diversity and encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, people with criminal records, veterans and people with disabilities.
This position will be covered by a collective-bargaining agreement between The New Republic and The NewsGuild of New York, CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO. It is open to internal and external candidates.