The New Republic is looking for an accomplished full-stack developer to play a leading role in managing software development and reimagining our digital products.
We’re looking for someone who can develop and implement a wide range of products, from web and mobile to editorial and sales, and who can ensure that TNR readers are able to access our content from any device, from any country in the world, every minute of the day. Candidates must possess a strong visual sensibility, the ability to conceptualize cross-platform features, and an obsession with technical efficiency, page performance, and the DOM. The back-end developer will not only maintain and improve the existing features and functionality of our Heroku/AWS infrastructure, but will also conceive of and build new structures. Collegiality, a commitment to excellence, and the ability to be fast and creative under tight deadlines are a must.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate closely with key staff to build and implement elegant and seamless products, from potentially restructuring the entire website to sales and marketing integrations.
- Produce prototypes and effectively articulate design decisions and technological options to both technical and nontechnical colleagues.
- Execute a project seamlessly—from wireframes to full development.
- Conduct QA when publishing new products.
- Produce designs with clean, performant, maintainable code.
- Conceptualize new products and features to attract and engage readers.
- Build maintainable and reusable JS components.
- Create tests using the Mocha framework.
- Design and integrate services/APIs to improve editorial tools.
- Participate in meetings with nontechnical staff regarding user experience.
- 3 to 5 years of professional development experience in media.
- Motivated self-starter, unafraid to work independently and show initiative.
- Three years experience utilizing Node/Express and React.
- Experience with NPM/Webpack to create JS modules across applications and code bases.
- Experience with Heroku/AWS and building scalable web applications.
- Experience optimizing for mobile web applications.
- Familiarity with analytical and diagnostic tools for web performance.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced editorial environment.
- Ability to handle multiple short- and long-term projects simultaneously.
- Patience, a sense of humor, and kindness.
This is a non-Guild position, open to internal and external candidates, that will supervise the front-end developer.
To apply, please submit your résumé and a cover letter explaining why you’re right for this job here. The cover letter should be tailored to TNR and show an understanding of our sensibility and history. Please include links to your work from other media outlets.
TNR offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
The New Republic is committed to diversity and encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, people with criminal records, veterans and people with disabilities.