Ad Age is seeking a proactive, digital-first reporter to cover breaking news and produce in-depth, quick-turnaround enterprise stories keyed to the biggest headlines in the advertising and marketing industry.
The ideal candidate will have at least five years’ reporting experience, an eye for compelling stories, comfort with social media and the drive to stand out in a fast-paced news environment. The position places a high priority on traditional journalism skills, including investigative and analysis reporting, source development, clear writing and sharp news judgment and interviewing ability.
The reporter has the demonstrated ability to pitch researched stories, land exclusives and juggle multiple stories a day on deadline.
Position will begin remote then work from either our midtown Manhattan or Chicago office, once safe to do so.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least five years of work in a professional newsroom
- Experience reporting for advertising and marketing trade publications or a record of producing strong articles on industry topics as a freelancer or staff reporter.
- Skilled at generating story ideas, developing sources and working quickly with minimum supervision
- A keen eye for detail and nuance with the ability to weave a narrative for feature-length stories
- Strong reporting skills and the ability to successfully juggle daily news assignments with producing longer-form articles on a regular basis
- A self-starter who is also an ally to others on the team
- Self-starting and critical-thinking skills
- Link to online portfolio or sample of recent and relevant work
- Background or interest in developing public speaking skills
- Background in using social media to promote the team’s stories
- Familiarity with building a newsletter and using a CMS