The Seattle Times, one of the few remaining independent news organizations in the country and winner of 10 Pulitzer Prizes, is looking for an energetic, passionate Graphic Artist to assist the Opinion team and be an integral part of the Times’ new “Save the Free Press” voice. As part of this team, you will create compelling data visuals for Opinion and other pages as it relates to the Save the Free Press Initiative. You should have a demonstrated ability to conceptualize ideas to make Opinion pieces more appealing with an eye toward making significant social impact and informing public policy. You should also be able to produce innovative data graphics that can convey the key points in an argument or story.
You will report to the Publisher, with dotted lines to the Editorial Page Editor, Sr. VP of Public Service, and Assistant Managing Editor.
- Produce print and digital graphics including interactive projects.
- Produce effective graphics for daily use within the established style guidelines for various coverage areas on multiple platforms.
- Emphasize appropriateness of style, execution, clarity of visual storytelling, impact, concept, accuracy and a commitment to proofreading and editing all design work.
- Take a multi-platform approach to design and storytelling and participate in the associated prototyping, storyboarding and planning endeavors.
- Create compelling visuals for various public-service initiatives.
- Serve as a member of the Opinion board to offer constructive input on how to best represent a story or argument.
- Experience: Must have at least two years’ experience developing and producing at a daily news organization (or equivalent experience).
- Education: Four-year degree (or combined equivalent work experience in a related role)
- Possess solid research and visual design skills.
- Experience with data journalism and associated tools, such as Excel, SQL, R and Python is desirable.
- Knowledge of graphics and illustration tools such as Adobe Suite (Creative Cloud or older CS versions).
- Established illustration styles
- Ability to capture concepts in surprising and delightful ways
- Ability to work in high pressure, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Experience/ familiarity with pagination systems and WordPress preferred
- Strong communications skills, whether coaching, enlisting support, building teams or negotiating among multiple stakeholders
- Respect for a plurality of perspectives, identities and experiences in the Northwest.
- Committed to ensure that diverse communities see themselves and their concerns represented in our work.
This position would be required to pay union dues on an ongoing monthly basis.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.
|Job Category||Graphic Design|