At KnowledgeWorks, we partner with learning communities to create purposeful paths and places to ensure each student graduates ready for what’s next. Through evidence-based practices and a commitment to equitable outcomes, we’re creating the future of learning.
About the position
We are interested in engaging with a freelance writer to elevate the voices – educators, administrators, students and others – within our learning communities to further our work in scaling personalized, competency-based learning: a system of learning in which members of a learning community work together to create engaging educational experiences that are customized to each learner’s strengths, needs and interests. In a personalized, competency-based learning environment, students have voice and ownership over how, what, when and where they learn and connections to community and real-world experiences are a priority. They learn actively using different pathways and varied pacing that does not result in tracking or other forms of ability grouping. This systems-level focus on the learner’s experience and readiness ensures each learner has equitable opportunities to acquire the future-ready skills, knowledge and dispositions to graduate ready for what’s next.
Contract will involve drafting two stories: one working from interviews and notes with educators and students regarding a year-long project and its impact on their education outlook, with direction and messaging provided. The second story will involve conducting initial interviews with educators and administrators regarding the importance and value of a seamless, supported transition between student learning at a youth correctional facility and their home school or district.
Each story should be no more than 1200 words. No more than two rounds of review edits can be anticipated, working under the direction of KnowledgeWorks senior manager of communications.
- stellar writing and communications skills
- champions diversity, equity and representation in storytelling
- works independently with quality results
- self-driven, reliable and resourceful
- not afraid to ask clarifying questions and dig deeper
KnowledgeWorks.org • One West Fourth Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 • P 513.929.4777 • F 513.929.1122
- must have at least 2+ years of writing experience
- must provide writing samples
- competitive rates
- flexible timelines
- strong opportunity for future stories based on performance
- $150 per story from existing notes and interviews, $250 per story when conducting interviews (goal of no more than three interviews)
- will pay on a monthly basis
Interested applicants may submit a resume and writing samples to: email@example.com.