As a participant in the Scripps Journalism Career Program (JCP) this position reports to a News Manager and works with the News Manager, Executive Producer and/or Producers to become capable in performing the duties of the assigned position. This position is finite in nature, usually 6-8 months long. JCP Participants will learn to oversee and edit content for multiple platforms.
What You’ll Do:
Steadily increasing complexity of task and relationship can be expected in all of the below listed areas:
- Report, write, and capture visual content. Edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline.
- Assist in coverage of major news events, breaking news and severe weather to insure high quality consistent community coverage on multiple platforms.
- Work with news staff to plan, structure, write and report news and information content for various media platforms.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Web Content Producer
- Produce site content to optimize the user experience by being attentive to live web metrics and UE best practice
- Apply SEO best practices to every piece of content
- Enhance the news content with links, maps, and slideshows.
- Coordinate news editorial and technical staff to facilitate the migration of multimedia content to new media platforms, including video, audio, still photos and graphics.
- Build out special sections and site features to enhance coverage and increase user engagement.
- Assist in the management of user-generated content on the sites.
- Responsible for content generation for niche sites as directed by the director of new media.
- Work with other departments, including sales and marketing, as needed on site and station initiatives that require content integration.
- Update and interact with fans/followers on social media.
- Evaluate news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Shoot video and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edit videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appear on television program when conducting taped interview or narration.
- Give live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Assist the digital staff in preparing for multi-media stories.
- Work closely with news managers and assignment editors to determine content needs.
- Enhance content of the rundown with graphics, video, research and station branding
- Execute time sensitive decisions regarding the newscast
- Working knowledge of journalistic ethics and libel laws
- Responsible for oversight of live broadcast and up to the minute editorial decisions
- Perform desktop editing
- Develop and post content to stations Web sites
- Utilize web analytics
What You’ll Need:
Recent or imminent undergraduate with BS/BA in related discipline
What You’ll Bring:
- Should possess some or all of the following:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literacy including newsroom computer systems
- Familiar with editing and editing systems
- Familiar with journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Experience posting content to websites
- Knowledge of Content Management systems, HTML, Audio Editing, Image Editing, Social Networking
- Experience with digital video editing
- Knowledge of Associated Press style
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
- Office/News Room
- May require flexible hours
- Mary require lifting up to 40 pounds
- Valid Driver’s License (MMJ only)
- Yes – Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
SCRIPPS’ COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At Scripps, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the communities we serve. We are intentional about creating an environment where employees, our audiences and other stakeholders feel valued and inspired to reach their full potential and make authentic connections. We foster a workplace culture that embraces each person’s diversity, including the extent to which they are similar or different. Scripps leaders believe that an equitable and inclusive culture is not only the right thing to do, it is a business imperative. Read more about our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion at scripps.com.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
|Job Category||Multimedia, Television|