Lehigh Valley Public Media is seeking an energetic, personable, relatable radio Anchor/Reporter at new NPR affiliate station. Will be responsible for locally hosting NPR Newsmagazine program (Morning Edition or All Things Considered.) Blend local and national news into a cohesive and dynamic listener experience and a must-hear show. Be a strong team member of this forward-thinking media organization.
In addition to hosting, you will contribute news stories, cuts and copy, daily news content and features to the program schedule. Contribute to the station’s community engagement events, social media endeavors, and multi-platform efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Host daily news magazine. Live on-air board operation for network news magazine. Switch programming functions from network to local programming.
- Produce local newscasts, edit and rewrite news content, produce 2-ways and occasional features, report and write spot news as needed.
- Host or co-host other station programs and events such as community engagement, live programs, weekly news magazine, as needed.
- Participate in meetings; interact with management and department heads in vision building, audience development, digital production, webcasting, and distribution.
- Troubleshoot technical difficulties
- Preparation for daily show—familiarity with local market. Review top stories, prepare rundowns and digest of national and local program elements.
- Work with News Director to accommodate daily news features, daily changes in program schedules including breaking news, addition of new elements, etc.
- Participate in stations’ fundraising endeavors as needed, especially public radio fund drives.
- Serve as local representative at stations’ events.
- Edit peer stories.
- Provide coverage for air shifts in the absence of other broadcast personnel.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Experience: One year in a news organization.
Some positions require valid driver’s license.
Excellent written, oral, and verbal communication skills.
- Two years’ experience in live hosting on public radio.
- NPR caliber writing, reporting, and editing skills.
- Understanding and practice of high journalistic integrity and standards.
- Multi-media skills.
- Fluency in social media.
- Experience in podcasting.
- Familiarity with NPR Code of Ethics as it applies to broadcast positions.
No phone calls, please.
Please send via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
PBS39 is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time