Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG’s primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
This is your chance to lead a top public media newsroom. MPR News is seeking an experienced editorial leader to join our award-winning newsroom, the only statewide public media network in Minnesota.
You should be a seasoned journalist with a strong editorial vision. You’re a creative and innovative leader who can motivate and inspire reporters and editors to break news and provide the distinctive, thoughtful coverage our curious audience expects. Our audience trusts us to provide independent journalism that holds people and institutions accountable, and you will be the ethical compass for the room, ensuring that our ethics guidelines are infused into everything we do.
As the Managing Editor, you will lead multiple parts of the MPR Newsroom. You will be accountable for editorial decisions on all MPR News platforms. You should have a vision that will motivate the reporting teams to produce distinctive journalism, and you will lead the planning, execution and communication of our coverage plans. Your team includes two deputies who are responsible for managing coverage on their dayparts: planning daily news, editing stories and leading daily news meetings.
You must stay current with media consumer trends, metrics and competitors, with the goal of growing our broadcast and digital audience. You are expected to be a thought leader within the company and the public media system on multimedia strategy and audience response.
Application Deadline: April 16, 2020
- Set an editorial vision to inspire the room to produce distinctive journalism on all platforms.
- Manage daily decision-making, planning and communicating daily news coverage.
- Collaborate with all newsroom editors to plan story deadlines, and with the digital and audio teams to effectively roll out stories on all platforms.
- Work closely with other MPR departments, including audience insights, to better understand our news audience and how audiences are consuming our news products across platforms.
- Hire, supervise, train and manage staff.
- Work to recruit and retain journalists of color and journalists of varying cultural backgrounds.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individual development plans and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Coach and mentor staff on writing, delivery and reporting.
- Serve as backfill for MPR News Director, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited university, preferably in journalism
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in editing, broadcast, print or online journalism.
- 5+ years of supervisory/management experience.
- Experience/accomplishment in multimedia reporting.
- Accomplishment in growing and understanding audience behaviors.
- Knowledge of content management systems.
- Experience developing and implementing content plans.
- Experience in planning and managing ambitious projects in a fast-paced news environment, coordinating with the efforts of broadcast staff and web developers, and tracking long-term project timelines and deliverables while maintaining an ambitious daily news cycle.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proven editorial judgment with a commitment to accuracy, fairness and balance.
- Ability to work across a range of skills and in a flexible manner, carrying out responsibilities in accordance with MPR’s mission, values and professional standards.
- Ability to prioritize work and make resource decisions accordingly.
- Excellent coaching, communication and teamwork skills.
- Commitment to public service journalism.
- Familiarity with and appreciation of public radio.
- Knowledge of the law and its application to a nonprofit news service.
- Ability to motivate, train and grow employees.
- Ability to consistently work well with others and to inspire and lead staff.
- Ability to interact and represent the newsroom to other divisions.
- Ability to advocate for newsroom throughout the organization and with outside groups.
- Commitment to high editorial standards.
- Ability to collaborate with outside organizations.
Reporting to This Position:
- Deputy Managing Editor, Dayside
- Deputy Managing Editor, Nightside
- Other editors as assigned
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
|Job Category||Multimedia, Radio|