New York City/Washington, D.C.
Please note that this position is based in New York City or Washington, D.C.
Roles and Responsibilities
The managing editor coordinates the production of stories about religion, spirituality, and ethics for the Religion News Service (RNS) website and subscriber publications
The position directs, supervises and schedules from RNS staff writers, columnists and freelance writers. The managing editor also facilitates the distribution of RNS content through the Associated Press.
The managing editor maintains the editorial calendar for enterprise, features, and opinion content and ensures that all staff members hit production deadlines.
This editor independently edits news and feature articles, as well as opinion pieces of staff journalists, contract writers and freelancers.
All produced content acts as a resource for the public and media at large, promoting religious literacy for the Religion News audience.
Key responsibilities include:
- Report directly to the editor-in-chief and work closely with the RNS senior editor and staff journalists, contract writers and freelancers.
- With editor-in-chief and senior editor, plan story coverage and maintain an editorial calendar of which content will publish when and with what news hook.
- Develop and execute ideas for written content that will resonate with our audience and elevate the RNS brand.
- Direct, supervise and educate RNS staff writers, columnists and freelance writers.
- Assign and edit news and feature articles and opinion pieces by staff and outside contributors.
- Inform RNS staff writers of errors in procedure and helps them perform corrective action(s) if necessary.
- Work with multimedia editors on photography, video and other graphics to complement and extend written content.
- Promote content on social media.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is required.
Four or more years of editorial experience demonstrated in a professional portfolio is required.
Demonstrated subject area knowledge of religion and spirituality, denominational and interfaith affairs, religious practice, the American religious landscape, and congregational life.
- Organizational skills
- Knowledge of editorial production processes
- Editorial decision-making
- Extensive content editing
- Grammar proficiency
- Staff oversight
- Establishment of effective working relationships with all levels of RNS staff and management
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving
- Multi-tasking and meeting tight deadlines
- Time management
Competitive salary and benefits.
Religion News Service, LLC, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics. Any applicant with a mental or physical disability who requires an accommodation during the application process should contact Religion News Service, LLC, to request such an accommodation.
|Job Category||Administrative, Multimedia, Print|