Frame (New York, New York / Remote)
Frame is looking for a part-time Managing Editor to commission, edit, and publish pieces for Frame’s two core verticals, Undercovered and Flashpoint. This role will entail researching and sourcing stories that align with Frame’s editorial mission — surfacing undercovered stories that help readers understand broader issues in the news, from the climate crisis to income inequality. Overall, the Managing Editor should have an interest in working with new visual formats for news that help readers synthesize and think critically about issues, helping to change a digital ecosystem often dominated by reductive and surface-level news.
- Ensure bi-weekly publishing of Undercovered and Flashpoint stories (publishing one story a week)
- Commission stories for Undercovered and Flashpoint that fit the voice and mission of each vertical, and Frame as a whole
- Work with writers to refine pitches/narrative arcs and edit pieces from start to finish
- Fact check stories
- Gather/generate all publishing assets for stories (from share images to share text) and publish stories across Frame’s platforms and on Snapchat
- Review and respond to unsolicited pitches
- Identify promising up-and-coming writers that can push Frame’s report and surface important stories
- Cultivate and maintain a network of talented contributors
- Research/find important undercovered news stories and maintain an editorial calendar that is informed by what’s in the cultural/political zeitgeist
- 2 or more years of experience editing a news publication or a section within a news publication
- An attention to detail and experience fact checking stories
- An interest in working with multimedia news formats
- An attuned news judgment and ability to craft compelling narratives and story arcs
- An investment in Frame’s mission and approach to visual, immersive news
- $33-40/hour (20-25 hours/week)
- Remote or in Frame’s New York City office.
More about Frame
Frame is a media company making in-depth news accessible to Gen Z and millenials through immersive, multimedia journalism. Our stories reach more than 4 million unique viewers a month. Frame is a two-time Edward R. Murrow Award-winner and a 2022 Webby Nominee. Our investors include New Media Ventures, Snap’s Yellow Accelerator, and Twitter co-founder Biz Stone; our advisors include former Wikimedia CEO, Katherine Maher.
We believe that a diverse team is necessary to reflect and represent the world we live in, address historical inequities, and bring a wide range of solutions, perspectives, and backgrounds to the future of journalism.
Frame provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.