OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
Are you incredibly organized with a passion for live broadcast? Do you have experience in news and a desire to learn about the management and people aspects of such work? We’re hiring a Managing Producer for our “Think Out Loud®” show and this could be your next career step!
In this newly created position, you’ll join a creative and thoughtful team that is part of the newsroom where there’s a lot of collaboration going into how to deliver cohesive news and conversations across OPB’s platforms. This position manages the day-to-day production of “Think Out Loud” and works closely with the Executive Editor to keep production on track. This is a great opportunity to build on your news experience and develop skills around thinking more broadly on the planning and management side of keeping a show running smoothly.
The Managing Producer oversees day-to-day production of the daily news/discussion program, “Think Out Loud®”, on both broadcast and on-demand platforms. This role works closely with the Executive Editor in the planning, communications and prioritization of production tasks with responsibility for keeping the production team on track. This collaborative role works closely with the entire “Think Out Loud” team including the Executive Editor, host and production team to deliver high quality and engaging content to our audience.
- Works with executive editor to make sure show has the right balance of segments, production is moving forward as assigned, and manages the production calendar and to-do lists. Manages the mix of stories on the website and ensures media is archived in the media asset management system, and keeps production team on track by ensuring day-to-day priorities and tasks are understood among all. Fills holes in show when necessary with last minute production or rebroadcasts and keeps production schedule and planning on track in absence of Executive Editor.
- Collaborate with executive editor, host and production team to produce the daily news/discussion program, “Think Out Loud®”, on OPB Radio and opb.org. Generate show ideas that bring diverse perspectives to our audience. Produce two to three radio segments per week (pitch ideas, prepare research, book and pre-interview guests, write corresponding digital and social media posts, outline show flow and direct live program).
- Write news stories from shows for broadcast and digital, find/take photos and other materials that are in the public domain for posting. Watch social media and respond to comments as appropriate. Assist in studio or on remote broadcasts during live programs. Screen calls and direct the show. Record audio for shows, edit audio recorded remotely, and edit voicemail messages from listeners.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Most work is done in an office, studio or other indoor location. Some travel in-state and nationally may be necessary. Lifting or carrying equipment may be required. Extended periods of sitting and standing may be necessary. The work requires, working evenings, weekends and/or starting the work day early, and occasional travel to remote locations and possibly working in inclement weather.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Three years experience in news, with experience as a producer or editor in broadcast.
- Experience writing and communicating online (website, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) in a professional capacity.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with all team members.
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and take direction.
- Commitment to read widely and interact with community in order to research subject matter for the program.
- Knowledge of public media environment, and online news and community developments.
- Demonstrated ability to uphold high ethical standards for journalism.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB.
- Demonstrated broadcast news writing skills and ability to produce live news shows consistent with public radio standards and style.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism.
- Passion for news and knowledge of current events from following the news daily.
- Enthusiasm for people, and learning management skills
- Enthusiasm for the changing news production environment and the tools and software used to facilitate our work.
- Experience editing on Adobe Audition, Dalet, ProTools or similar broadcast digital audio software.
- Experience taking and editing photos and videos.
- This position reports to the Executive Editor, Talk and Podcasts and is benefits eligible.
- The hiring range for this exempt position is between $70,000 and $80,000 annually, depending on qualifications.
Apply Here. Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on 9/23/2021