Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Producer and local anchor for ‘Morning Edition’. Primary responsibilities include gathering up-to-date news content and writing/producing/anchoring newscasts. Other tasks include editing news content, conducting interviews, and producing human-interest features. This person will work closely with the managing editor, radio manager, program director, reporters, and student interns. Under minimal supervision, this individual will consistently deliver a professional on-air presentation that adheres to WKAR’s format for Morning Edition. All content and conduct must follow NPR’s Ethics Handbook.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in broadcasting, communication, journalism, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in radio production, broadcast operations, rules and regulations and interviewing; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A minimum one year of full-time on-air experience in hosting, anchoring, reporting, or producing role; two or more years of experience working in journalism.
- Experience hosting or producing Morning Edition, All Things Considered, or Weekend Edition
- Experience using a content management system.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality news content and programming.
- Experience with automation systems and audio editing.
- Ability to work live or pre-recorded as necessary
- Ability to work on multiple tasks, on deadline, under pressure, with minimal supervision.
- Self-motivated with experience turning ideas into action.
- Work experience that demonstrates professionalism, curiosity, and diverse interests.
- Experience working on-air during fundraising drives
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Please apply here. Submit your resume along with a cover letter addressing your extent of on-air commercial and/or public broadcasting experience, and why you feel this position would be a positive career move for you. Include the names and email addresses of three professional references. A writing sample is requested, see further instructions below.
In less than 500 words, provide a writing sample telling us what you enjoy about working on-air in commercial and/or public broadcasting.
Morning Edition airs weekday mornings (Monday through Friday). The show feeds live from 05:00 to 09:00 ET. This individual is expected be prepared and ready to go on-air prior to live show.
Applications close: Feb 18, 2021 Eastern Standard Time