The Multi-Platform News Director is responsible for directing the multi-media news operation and activities of Northwest Public Broadcasting (NWPB). Responsible for the daily news and public affairs content and overall news product, including: supervising full-time and part-time multimedia journalists, freelancers and student news interns, assigning and editing journalists’ stories and interviews; preparing and presenting reports, interviews, copy and program information on-air reporting; writing, creating, and distributing original news stories on multiple platforms. Responsible for ensuring the regional and regional journalistic integrity of Northwest Public Broadcasting reporting including completeness, accuracy, fairness and balance. Incumbent is responsible for maintaining the audience appeal of all news presentations including adherence to high production values, and coaching journalists and student interns. Position duties and responsibilities will be performed in support of college vision, mission, and values as well as institutional mission and goals.
A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in a field related to the functional managerial area which has included at least one (1) year of supervisory experience. Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Demonstrated sound news judgment.
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure.
- Ability and willingness to work a varied schedule.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies.
- Knowledge and proficiency with content production and promotion in multiple platforms.
- Demonstrated track record of producing and delivery of national level journalistic content.
- Experience training and developing multi-media journalists.
- Preferred additional years of professional news management experience beyond the minimum.
- Experience with applying digital tools to story creation and distribution, including proficiency with technical aspects of web publishing, social media, data presentations, etc.
- Demonstrated on-air hosting experience.
- Experience in public broadcasting.
- Demonstrated high level of journalistic excellence, ethics and integrity.
- Exceptional time management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Monthly Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Term in months: 12
Time Type: Full time
Job Location: Pullman, WA
Posting Close Date: Screening of applications will begin October 18, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
Apply here. Applicants must attach the following documents to their online application: 1) resume and 2) cover letter. Applicants are required to include contact information for professional references within the application.
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.