ABC 27, the E.W. Scripps own ABC affiliate located in the Capital City of Florida, is in search of an ambitious, self-starter who is passionate about reporting news that is timely and impactful. As a member of the ABC 27 News Team you will be able to gather, produce and deliver stories that makes a difference to the communities we serve.
- Receives assignment or evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Gathers and verifies information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
- Organizes material, determines emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Shoots video and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appears on television program when conducting taped interview or narration
- Gives live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
- Assist online staff in preparing for multimedia stories.
- Report, write, capture quality visual content, edit and produce engaging stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
- Generate local story ideas daily.
- Build and Maintain relationships with community members and organizations.
Skills & Abilities
- Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems.
- Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
- Edit video on nonlinear editing systems, or similar equipment.
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to pivot in an ever- changing workflow.
- flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Present information in a fair, unbiased manner
Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience
We strive every day to create a work environment that supports our mission “We do well by doing good -creating value for our customers, employees and owners by informing, engaging and empowering the communities we serve.”
About ABC 27
ABC 27 was established in 1976 providing exceptional local news coverage to the Big Bend of Florida and Southwest Georgia. ABC 27 is known throughout the viewing area for their community engagement, accurate journalism, breaking news and severe weather coverage. We are located just 25 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and 14 miles south of Georgia. Known for being the Capital City of Florida, Tallahassee is a vibrant college town and is home to Florida’s Legislature. Tallahassee truly as something for everyone. The numerous parks and lakes are sanctuaries for the outdoor enthusiast. Those interested in the Cultural Arts will find a plethora of options from the two national known universities FAMU and FSU; and for those sun worshipers the Forgotten Coast beaches are just a 45-minute scenic drive down Hwy 98.
SCRIPPS’ COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At Scripps, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the communities we serve. We are intentional about creating an environment where employees, our audiences and other stakeholders feel valued and inspired to reach their full potential and make authentic connections. We foster a workplace culture that embraces each person’s diversity, including the extent to which they are similar or different. Scripps leaders believe that an equitable and inclusive culture is not only the right thing to do, it is a business imperative. Read more about our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion at scripps.com.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.