Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Native American Journalism Fellowship
The Oklahoman/oklahoman.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking applicants for its second annual Native American Journalism Fellowship program.
The year-long program, run in partnership with the Native American Journalism Association, is designed to give one to two early-career journalists a well-rounded grounding in real-world journalism.
Our fellows rotate through a variety of disciplines, working with seasoned reporters and editors to learn how to source build, develop beats, cover breaking news and politics, and shoot photos and video.
They will also learn expert tips on SEO and using social media to report and promote your work. The rotations typically vary from 1 to 3 months.
Our goal is to give our fellows the experience they need to hit the ground running in any size newsroom, and at the end of the program we’ll work with you to find a home in one of the hundreds of USA Today Network news sites across the country or outside the network.
The Oklahoman and Gannett will also provide various training courses to help the fellows grow and mature as journalists.
The program is still in its early stages, so your experiences will help us develop and mold the program moving forward.
Who you are:
- You have an endless appetite for news and want to learn everything you can about covering it.
- You know digital is our future and are eager to learn the tools needed to win in a digital-first environment.
- You have a flare for writing and a good knowledge of AP style.
- You’re a great colleague who works well with others.
- You’re meticulous in getting the details right and fact checking.
- You’re ready to jump into any assignment on any given day, though we’ll strive to keep you on your rotations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or English or relevant experience, advanced computer and multimedia skills preferred.
- Must have reliable automobile and smartphone.
- These positions require a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check, motor vehicle record check and drug screen.
How to Apply
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.