Launched in 2019, THE CITY is New York City’s preeminent nonprofit, nonpartisan, local news organization. Working across all five boroughs, our award-winning journalists bring diverse skills and backgrounds to the task of covering New York’s neighborhoods, holding the powerful to account, and making sense of the greatest city in the world.
Recent journalism by THE CITY helped lead to the resignation of the lieutenant governor, exposed inequities in vaccine access, and prompted laws protecting New York’s delivery workers. THE CITY collaborated with readers to share stories of loved ones lost to COVID, leading to our Missing Them project, widely noted for its innovation.
THE CITY is an industry leader in developing powerful and award-winning news applications. Since the start of the pandemic, THE CITY’s Coronavirus in NYC tracker has provided millions of New Yorkers with a single credible source of information about the progression of the virus and the response of the health care system. Our Meet Your Mayor interactive guide helped hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers make sense of a wild election and has since been adopted by other newsrooms. Our Have I Been Redistricted? tool enabled voters to see how New York’s newly drawn political boundaries impacted them.
THE CITY is currently in a growth phase that will add reporting and editing firepower to our newsroom, strengthen our business capabilities, and build our membership base.
THE CITY is seeking an innovative and energetic News Applications Developer who is passionate about exploratory journalism, collaboration with reporters and editors, and creating brilliant news apps, databases, graphics and tools that serve all New Yorkers.
AS NEW APPLICATIONS DEVELOPER, YOU WILL…
- Conceive and code news applications that reveal insights based on reporting and allow exploration and personalization of newsworthy data
- Work with THE CITY’s data reporter to produce interactive charts and maps
- Collaborate with reporters and editors to develop interactive storytelling approaches for both narrative and data-centered stories
- Write scrapers and reporting tools to support original data collection and analysis
- Maintain basic cloud infrastructure for custom projects on AWS
- Work with CMS vendors to support storytelling functionality on THE CITY’s website
- Be responsible for ensuring a great user experience across all projects on a variety of devices and platforms
- Manage project timelines, and work with editors to prioritize features and approaches based on the news cycle
- Experience with version control and Node-based build tools
- Knowledge of web visualization libraries such as D3 and Mapbox
- Ability to analyze data in Python, R, Node or SQL
- Comfort with manipulating and mapping geographic data
- Experience or interest in working with cloud platforms such as AWS
- Design fundamentals and ability to produce basic wireframes and mockups
Nice to have
- An interest in ad tech, analytics and publishing tools
- Experience with Java is an advantage for adding functionality to our CMS, but not required
THE CITY is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, and those with lived experiences in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW…
- Salary Range: $95,000 to $110,000
- Benefits: Generous paid time off, including 20 vacation days, 8 holidays and 8 paid sick days. Medical, Dental and Vision. 401k Plan
- Location: New York City (Obviously)