Capital Public Radio is looking for a full-time News Reporter to join its award-winning and fast-growing team.
The News Reporter plays a crucial role in covering the most important stories of the day. The position requires swift action in the face of breaking news, but also seasoned news judgment and instincts for what makes a “public radio story.”
We’re looking for a reporter with at least two years of newsroom experience. The ideal candidate will have a background working in radio or with audio-editing software, and a passion for NPR and public-service journalism. But we also welcome talented, experienced journalists from all platforms to apply.
The reporter’s main duty will be covering the day’s most important stories around the region. On a “slow news day,” the News Reporter will be expected to deliver “enterprise” stories that are relevant to the community and our audience. This includes long-form feature reporting as assigned.
Strong news-writing skills for multiple platforms (radio, on-demand, digital) are essential.
We’re focused on building diverse and inclusive team, so if you’re excited about this position but may not meet all of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivers daily spot radio news stories.
- Produces feature-length stories as assigned
- Writes and creates content for online and digital
- Files radio stories for a statewide audience via CapRadio’s partnership network with dozens of California public radio stations
- Appears on CapRadio and NPR talk shows as assigned
- Proactively files spot stories for NPR and other national outlets
- Meets regularly with senior and managing editors to plan coverage and set goals
- Participates in on-air fundraising and other CapRadio fundraising activities
Skills and Experience
- College degree, preferably in journalism, or equivalent experience
- Radio/audio experience preferred, but not required.
- A passion for public radio news and programming.
- Seasoned news judgment
- Audio editing experience using software such as Adobe or Pro Tools
Salary And Benefits
The salary range for this position is $59,000 to $61,500. We offer:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, chiropractic and acupuncture insurance
- Long-Term Disability and Group Life Insurance
- Paid holidays
- Flexible Vacation
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care
Submit a cover letter, resume and link to three work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can address your cover letter to the hiring manager for this position, Nick Miller, Senior Editor of News and Features.
In addition, please include responses to the following:
- Choose a CapRadio audio story from the past six months and explain how it succeeds and where it falls short (less than 150 words)
- Tell us about one of your favorite radio/podcast programs (less than 150 words)
- Identify an issue in the Sacramento region and describe how you would report on it in a unique way (150 words)
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.