If you know how to create newsletters that make people excited to check email every morning, you might be the next Newsletter Editor at CalMatters.
We seek a smart writer with the wit and depth to engage Californians in the state’s top political and policy stories each weekday. Our WhatMatters newsletter is our front page. It’s an essential morning check for anyone who wants to know the latest about major issues in the world’s fifth largest economy.
We seek a writer and editor who’s obsessed with these stories. Someone whose lively voice of authority can quickly tell Californians what happened, why it happened and why they should care. Someone who’s plugged into what’s happening in the Capitol each day and can be a personality in California politics. Someone who will work closely with CalMatters Senior Editor Dan Morain and the rest of our journalists to share stories they’re covering and tips they receive.
In four years, CalMatters has become the largest newsroom covering California policy and politics. We’re a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, and we give our coverage at no cost to more than 180 media outlets in California. By taking the lead on our flagship newsletter, you’ll play a crucial role in making our work more accessible and impactful as we work to serve the 40 million Californians who represent one-eighth of the U.S. population.
This position will require some night and weekend work and is based in Sacramento.
- Create the newsletter for release each weekday morning with feeds from other CalMatters journalists, aggregation from other news sources and original scoops or analysis.
- Produce the newsletter in our publishing system, write headlines and add photos and other elements.
- Attend regular editorial meetings and communicate daily with CalMatters editors.
- Contribute to CalMatters’ strategic plans for additional newsletters.
These would be a plus:
- Experience writing and/or managing a daily newsletter.
- An understanding of California issues, politics and personality.
- Experience with WordPress and MailChimp.
- Experience with photo selection and editing.
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We’re committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and links to at least six online samples of your work. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.