KNKX is a Puget Sound area public media outlet, dedicated to bringing jazz, blues, regional news, and NPR programs to the Northwest and beyond. As an independent station, KNKX employees are energized in their mission to provide the very best service to over 400,000 listeners on-air and online, to engage closely with community members and the public media industry to constantly improve and innovate, and to present music and stories that educate, inspire, and expand horizons. KNKX offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. We have offices in Seattle and Tacoma.
KNKX employees work in an office culture that welcomes creativity, experimentation, teamwork, and open dialogue. Our organization aims to reflect the vibrancy and diversity of the place where we live, and encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We have offices in Seattle and Tacoma, and offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
The Online Managing Editor is central to the station’s public service and storytelling mission, overseeing news stories and music content on the KNKX/Jazz 24 websites. This person understands the reach and the potential of an organization’s website and is strategic when it comes to what and when to post something online. This position publishes original content produced in-house, curates stories from NPR, our regional partners and the wires, and repurposes digital content — all in an effort to maintain a dynamic platform that engages and expands our audience. We’re looking for a creative individual who is a journalist, who can identify the best stories we should be producing for and sharing online, and someone who can edit, copy and reshape stories to make them as strong as they can be. This person will execute both short and long-term editorial projects for the website and will also help distribute stories on social media. The position reports to the Director of Content and primarily works with the KNKX news and music staffs as well as with the station’s development and marketing teams.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of all facets of online content production, including writing for web, copy editing and best practices for posting on social media. Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills under all sorts of deadlines including breaking news. Demonstrated expertise in the mechanics of Standard English grammar and knowledge of AP style.
- Understanding of news reporting and a commitment to integrity and excellent news judgment. Broad knowledge of regional issues and current events. Knowledge of journalistic ethics and standards, specifically the standards of NPR News.
- Ability to work with an online content management system.
- Strong design sensibility for how online stories should read and look.
- Ability to use and adapt to basic news technology, including: computers, phones, radio consoles, digital recorders, and cameras.
- Ability to work in a creative team environment, both remotely and in-person, and communicate effectively with supervisor and colleagues.
- Ability to track multiple projects, work under deadline pressure, communicate across departments, and respond effectively to diverse and challenging circumstances.
- Knowledge of and appreciation for jazz and blues.
- Understands and supports Pacific Public Media’s public service mission, and PPM’s Principles and Values Statement.
- Experience in Public Broadcasting.
- Experience with content management systems, social networking and content distribution.
- Experience in a mobile environment.
- Experience in graphic design and HTML photography and audio/video production.
- Ability to report in a language other than English
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years professional journalism experience.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination