OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
OPB’s hiring a producer to join the Talk + Podcasts team! In this role, you will work collaboratively to produce quality content for “Think Out Loud®” and other shows on OPB radio, such as Morning Edition and Weekend Edition, that air to our 160,000+ listeners. Your nonstop curiosity, as well as your enthusiasm for medium and long-form interviews will be an asset to the team as we aim to illuminate our wider world.
In case you’re not familiar with this program, “Think Out Loud” is a daily, hour-long radio show and podcast focused on what matters to the people of Oregon and Southwest Washington. Interviews are at the heart of our show. We seek out our listeners’ experiences to help inform the stories we’re telling. We are active in engaging communities that lack representation. We strive to present the breadth and diversity of views in our region. We bring honest curiosity to every topic and guest. Listeners can depend on the show to provide context on news, arts, and culture.
Collaborate with managing producer, executive editor, host and production team to produce for the daily news/discussion program, “Think Out Loud®”, and for OPB Radio and opb.org. Generate show ideas that bring diverse perspectives to our audience. Produce three to five radio segments per week (pitch ideas, prepare research, book and pre-interview guests, write corresponding digital and social media posts, outline show flow and direct the live program). Create news stories for broadcast and digital out-of-show content. Assist with preparation and production of live programming in-studio and on location.
- 70% – Collaborate with managing producer and executive editor, host and production team to produce content for the daily news/discussion program, “Think Out Loud®”, and for other shows on OPB Radio. Generate show ideas that bring diverse perspectives to our audience. Produce three to five radio segments per week (pitch ideas, prepare research, book and pre-interview guests, write corresponding digital and social media posts, outline show flow and direct live program).
- 10% – Write news stories from shows for broadcast and digital, find/take photos and other materials that are in the public domain for posting. Watch social media and respond to comments as appropriate.
- 10% – Assist in-studio or on remote broadcasts during live programs. Screen calls and direct the show.
- 5% – Record audio for shows, edit audio recorded remotely, and edit voicemail messages from listeners.
- 5% – Greet studio guests, make sure they’re comfortable and have anything they need (water, etc.) before the show begins.
Most work is done in office, studio or other indoor location. The work may require travel to remote locations, working evening, weekends and/or starting the workday early, and possibly working in inclement weather. Moving equipment up to 20 pounds is sometimes required. Extended periods of sitting or standing may be necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- One year of experience in journalism, broadcast or online production.
- Experience writing and communicating online (website, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) in a professional capacity.
- Deep curiosity in the work you do.
- Enthusiasm for producing long-form interviews.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with all team members.
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and take direction.
- Commitment to read widely and interact with community in order to research subject matter for the program and bring diverse voices and stories to the air.
- Knowledge of public media environment, and online news and community developments.
- Demonstrated ability to uphold high ethical standards for journalism.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB.
- Experience taking and editing photos and videos.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism.
- Passion for news and knowledge of current events from following the news daily.
- Enthusiasm for the changing news production environment and the tools and software used to facilitate our work.
- Experience editing on Adobe Audition, Dalet, ProTools or similar broadcast digital audio software.
- This position reports to the Executive Editor of Talk and Podcasts and is benefit eligible.
- The probable hiring range for this nonexempt/exempt position is between $55,000 and $65,000 annually, depending on qualifications.
- For the safety of our employees, the contractors/vendors we work with, and the public we serve, OPB has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
For application instructions, please visit OPB’s careers page. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application. OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on July 5, 2022.