The Seattle Times, one of the last few remaining independent news organization in the country, is looking to hire a passionate Project Homeless Editor to join our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom. As part of this community-funded lab team, you should be highly organized, with zeal for creatively coaching reporters who handle breaking news and complex, solutions-oriented enterprise and watchdog stories across multiple platforms. You must have strong story editing, digital and social media skills, as well as a knowledge base about the diffuse and nuanced causes of homelessness. Ideally, you are comfortable working with the engagement editor to find innovative ways to engage the community and various people directly impacted or working on the homelessness issue. Project Homeless is a community-funded initiative; editor must be able to effectively interface with funding partners. Endless curiosity – and a drive for uncovering untold stories – is essential.
- Lead this publicly funded team with strong story editing, digital and social media skills.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding and history of community engagement.
- Adapt and embrace newsroom publishing standards, with specific emphasis on optimizing engagement on current and future social media platforms.
- Must keep well informed about news in general and assigned specialties by reading The Seattle Times and other online and print publications.
- Experience: minimum five years’ experience at a metropolitan daily news organization, with a proven track record overseeing ambitious enterprise work for print and online.
- Education: four-year college degree (or equivalent work experience)
- Experience with the subject matter preferred.
- Understand and uphold the standards, ethics and mission of journalism at The Seattle Times.
- Able to demonstrate strong budget management skills while completing funding reports on a timely basis.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.